how to debug the phpBB-forum software: i allways get 500 error

• (2 Pages)
  • +

19 Replies - 722 Views - Last Post: 18 February 2020 - 05:12 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

how to debug the phpBB-forum software: i allways get 500 error

Posted 10 February 2020 - 07:30 AM

hello dear all,

how to debug the phpBB-forum software: i allways get   500 error 

tried to do a fresh install of phpBB on php version 7.4.2 

got the error 
SPL support enabled

Interfaces OuterIterator, RecursiveIterator, SeekableIterator, SplObserver, SplSubject Classes AppendIterator, ArrayIterator, ArrayObject, BadFunctionCallException, BadMethodCallException, CachingIterator, CallbackFilterIterator, DirectoryIterator, DomainException, EmptyIterator, FilesystemIterator, FilterIterator, GlobIterator, InfiniteIterator, InvalidArgumentException, IteratorIterator, LengthException, LimitIterator, LogicException, MultipleIterator, NoRewindIterator, OutOfBoundsException, OutOfRangeException, OverflowException, ParentIterator, RangeException, RecursiveArrayIterator, RecursiveCachingIterator, RecursiveCallbackFilterIterator, RecursiveDirectoryIterator, RecursiveFilterIterator, RecursiveIteratorIterator, RecursiveRegexIterator, RecursiveTreeIterator, RegexIterator, RuntimeException, SplDoublyLinkedList, SplFileInfo, SplFileObject, SplFixedArray, SplHeap, SplMinHeap, SplMaxHeap, SplObjectStorage, SplPriorityQueue, SplQueue, SplStack, SplTempFileObject, UnderflowException, UnexpectedValueException

now the admin of the server downgraded to php 7.2.8 

note: i did not have installed the phpBB  

there a phpBB version 3.3 is on the server. But - yes: it is not installed yet!

at the moment i get  a 500 error 

how to debug phpbb!? 

are there any ways and methods to get more insights what is going on on the server!?

update: found some ideas about the debug-mode:

1. go to the file

config/production/config.yml

2. add the following stuff
parameters:
    debug.load_time: true
    debug.sql_explain: true
    debug.memory: true
    debug.show_errors: true
    debug.exceptions: true 

imports:
    - { resource: ../default/config.yml }

parameters:
    debug.load_time: true
    debug.sql_explain: true
    debug.memory: true
    debug.show_errors: true
    debug.exceptions: true

This post has been edited by sayhello: 10 February 2020 - 09:21 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: how to debug the phpBB-forum software: i allways get 500 error

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: how to debug the phpBB-forum software: i allways get 500 error

Posted 10 February 2020 - 10:18 AM

What's the actual error message?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2020 - 11:35 AM

hi i get a 500 error

btw see the folder structure.. - compared with the original folder strucure (of a older phpBB) cf https://www.phpbb.co...34656&mode=view

view the site http://www.wp-forum....install/app.php

this drives me nuts...

i need to debugg this

see the comparison of my file structure - see this link: https://imgur.com/byt1cds

dear artificalsoldier - i look forward to hear from you - you have helped me so often - i am a bit clueless at the moment..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2020 - 12:16 PM

You need to find the actual error message from PHP. A 500 response is the web server just telling you that something went wrong, it's not an error message.

I'm not sure what you're trying to show with the file structure.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2020 - 01:17 PM

hi there - good evening dear ArtificalSoldier,

many thanks for the quick reply - i am so happy.

View PostArtificialSoldier, on 10 February 2020 - 07:16 PM, said:

You need to find the actual error message from PHP. A 500 response is the web server just telling you that something went wrong, it's not an error message.

I'm not sure what you're trying to show with the file structure.

...many many thanks for all your hints. And for the idea-sharing. - Well the file structure looks bit unusual.
I have installed the phpBB many years ago. And there all looked a bit different. So i just wondered how the file-structure looks now. And i tried to compare it with the one - in earlier time.

Artificalsoldier, i have had a quick view on the logs - see them here:

035: access to /index.htm denied (filesystem path '/sites/www.my-domain.netn.org/index.htm') because search permissions are missing on a component of the path

[Mon Feb 10 20:27:27.883367 2020] [php7:error] [pid 14404] [client 92.74.16.205:51194] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Exception: Cannot open source device in /sites/www.my-domain.net/includes/functions.php:70\nStack trace:\n#0 /sites/www.my-domain.net/includes/functions.php(70): random_int(0, 35)\n#1 /sites/www.my-domain.net/includes/functions.php(106): gen_rand_string(16)\n#2 /sites/www.my-domain.net/phpbb/template/twig/environment.php(202): unique_id()\n#3 /sites/www.my-domain.net/phpbb/template/twig/environment.php(186): phpbb\\template\\twig\\environment->display_with_assets('installer_main....', Array)\n#4 /sites/www.my-domain.net/phpbb/template/twig/twig.php(335): phpbb\\template\\twig\\environment->render('installer_main....', Array)\n#5 /sites/www.my-domain.net/phpbb/install/controller/helper.php(145): phpbb\\template\\twig\\twig->assign_display('body')\n#6 /sites/www.my-domain.net/phpbb/install/event/kernel_exception_subscriber.php(86): phpbb\\install\\controller\\helper->render('installer_main....', 'Information', false, 500)\n#7 /sites/www.my-domain.net/vendor/symfony/event-dispatcher/EventDispatcher.php(214): phpbb\\install\\event\\kern in /sites/www.my-domain.net/includes/functions.php on line 70
[Mon Feb 10 20:27:28.969219 2020] [php7:error] [pid 16158] [client 92.74.16.205:51196] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Exception: Cannot open source device in /sites/www.my-domain.net/includes/functions.php:70\nStack trace:\n#0 /sites/www.my-domain.net/includes/functions.php(70): random_int(0, 35)\n#1 /sites/www.my-domain.net/includes/functions.php(106): gen_rand_string(16)\n#2 /sites/www.my-domain.net/phpbb/template/twig/environment.php(202): unique_id()\n#3 /sites/www.my-domain.net/phpbb/template/twig/environment.php(186): phpbb\\template\\twig\\environment->display_with_assets('installer_main....', Array)\n#4 /sites/www.my-domain.net/phpbb/template/twig/twig.php(335): phpbb\\template\\twig\\environment->render('installer_main....', Array)\n#5 /sites/www.my-domain.net/phpbb/install/controller/helper.php(145): phpbb\\template\\twig\\twig->assign_display('body')\n#6 /sites/www.my-domain.net/phpbb/install/event/kernel_exception_subscriber.php(86): phpbb\\install\\controller\\helper->render('installer_main....', 'Information', false, 500)\n#7 /sites/www.my-domain.net/vendor/symfony/event-dispatcher/EventDispatcher.php(214): phpbb\\install\\event\\kern in /sites/www.my-domain.net/includes/functions.php on line 70
[Mon Feb 10 20:27:29.702520 2020] [php7:error] [pid 14408] [client 92.74.16.205:51198] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Exception: Cannot open source device in /sites/www.my-domain.net/includes/functions.php:70\nStack trace:\n#0 /sites/www.my-domain.net/includes/functions.php(70): random_int(0, 35)\n#1 /sites/www.my-domain.net/includes/functions.php(106): gen_rand_string(16)\n#2 /sites/www.my-domain.net/phpbb/template/twig/environment.php(202): unique_id()\n#3 /sites/www.my-domain.net/phpbb/template/twig/environment.php(186): phpbb\\template\\twig\\environment->display_with_assets('installer_main....', Array)\n#4 /sites/www.my-domain.net/phpbb/template/twig/twig.php(335): phpbb\\template\\twig\\environment->render('installer_main....', Array)\n#5 /sites/www.my-domain.net/phpbb/install/controller/helper.php(145): phpbb\\template\\twig\\twig->assign_display('body')\n#6 /sites/www.my-domain.net/phpbb/install/event/kernel_exception_subscriber.php(86): phpbb\\install\\controller\\helper->render('installer_main....', 'Information', false, 500)\n#7 /sites/www.my-domain.net/vendor/symfony/event-dispatcher/EventDispatcher.php(214): phpbb\\install\\event\\kern in /sites/www.my-domain.net/includes/functions.php on line 70
[Mon Feb 10 20:27:30.324374 2020] [php7:error] [pid 15456] [client 92.74.16.205:51200] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Exception: Cannot open source device in /sites/www.my-domain.net/includes/functions.php:70\nStack trace:\n#0 /sites/www.my-domain.net/includes/functions.php(70): random_int(0, 35)\n#1 /sites/www.my-domain.net/includes/functions.php(106): gen_rand_string(16)\n#2 /sites/www.my-domain.net/phpbb/template/twig/environment.php(202): unique_id()\n#3 /sites/www.my-domain.net/phpbb/template/twig/environment.php(186): phpbb\\template\\twig\\environment->display_with_assets('installer_main....', Array)\n#4 /sites/www.my-domain.net/phpbb/template/twig/twig.php(335): phpbb\\template\\twig\\environment->render('installer_main....', Array)\n#5 /sites/www.my-domain.net/phpbb/install/controller/helper.php(145): phpbb\\template\\twig\\twig->assign_display('body')\n#6 /sites/www.my-domain.net/phpbb/install/event/kernel_exception_subscriber.php(86): phpbb\\install\\controller\\helper->render('installer_main....', 'Information', false, 500)\n#7 /sites/www.my-domain.net/vendor/symfony/event-dispatcher/EventDispatcher.php(214): phpbb\\install\\event\\kern in /sites/www.my-domain.net/includes/functions.php on line 70
[Mon Feb 10 20:27:36.711442 2020] [php7:error] [pid 8985] [client 92.74.16.205:51202] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Exception: Cannot open source device in /sites/www.my-domain.net/includes/functions.php:70\nStack trace:\n#0 /sites/www.my-domain.net/includes/functions.php(70): random_int(0, 35)\n#1 /sites/www.my-domain.net/includes/functions.php(106): gen_rand_string(16)\n#2 /sites/www.my-domain.net/phpbb/template/twig/environment.php(202): unique_id()\n#3 /sites/www.my-domain.net/phpbb/template/twig/environment.php(186): phpbb\\template\\twig\\environment->display_with_assets('installer_main....', Array)\n#4 /sites/www.my-domain.net/phpbb/template/twig/twig.php(335): phpbb\\template\\twig\\environment->render('installer_main....', Array)\n#5 /sites/www.my-domain.net/phpbb/install/controller/helper.php(145): phpbb\\template\\twig\\twig->assign_display('body')\n#6 /sites/www.my-domain.net/phpbb/install/event/kernel_exception_subscriber.php(86): phpbb\\install\\controller\\helper->render('installer_main....', 'Information', false, 500)\n#7 /sites/www.my-domain.net/vendor/symfony/event-dispatcher/EventDispatcher.php(214): phpbb\\install\\event\\kern in /sites/www.my-domain.net/includes/functions.php on line 70
[Mon Feb 10 20:36:02.399565 2020] [php7:error] [pid 16158] [client 217.226.188.111:42836] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Exception: Cannot open source device in /sites/www.my-domain.net/includes/functions.php:70\nStack trace:\n#0 /sites/www.my-domain.net/includes/functions.php(70): random_int(0, 35)\n#1 /sites/www.my-domain.net/includes/functions.php(106): gen_rand_string(16)\n#2 /sites/www.my-domain.net/phpbb/template/twig/environment.php(202): unique_id()\n#3 /sites/www.my-domain.net/phpbb/template/twig/environment.php(186): phpbb\\template\\twig\\environment->display_with_assets('installer_main....', Array)\n#4 /sites/www.my-domain.net/phpbb/template/twig/twig.php(335): phpbb\\template\\twig\\environment->render('installer_main....', Array)\n#5 /sites/www.my-domain.net/phpbb/install/controller/helper.php(145): phpbb\\template\\twig\\twig->assign_display('body')\n#6 /sites/www.my-domain.net/phpbb/install/event/kernel_exception_subscriber.php(86): phpbb\\install\\controller\\helper->render('installer_main....', 'Information', false, 500)\n#7 /sites/www.my-domain.net/vendor/symfony/event-dispatcher/EventDispatcher.php(214): phpbb\\install\\event\\kern in /sites/www.my-domain.net/includes/functions.php on line 70
[Mon Feb 10 20:36:20.349582 2020] [php7:error] [pid 14408] [client 94.69.229.80:51507] script '/sites/www.my-domain.net/phpbb/install/app.php' not found or unable to stat

- well probably there are some errors with the permissions!? Is this thinkable!? I need to verify this.

i have to have a closer look at the logs - and yes - i will have a look at the permssion-setup.
cf. https://www.phpbb.co...od-permissions/

i come back later the evening - and will report all my findings.

untill soon -

yours say ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2020 - 01:26 PM

Well the file structure looks bit unusual.

What do you mean it looks unusual? How does a file structure look unusual? What's it supposed to look like, are you comparing it with that 8 year old screenshot? Has phpBB been updated over the last 8 years? Is it still supposed to look like that? Do you think you downloaded the wrong package?

It's the same error message as this:

https://www.dreaminc...critical-error/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2020 - 01:46 PM

hi again

sure thing - youre right - i cannot say that the file struture should look like the same as it was - 8 years ago,

sure thing.

that said - well i think that at the moment we do not have the same issue - like here https://www.dreaminc...critical-error/

btw - we have downgraded php - from 7.4.2 /(in the critical-error-thread you mentioned ) to php version 7.2.6 (or eight)

see the domain: http://www.wp-forum.net

well i look and try to find out more...

i need to have much much more debugging-info - i have to gather those data.,..

This post has been edited by sayhello: 10 February 2020 - 01:47 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2020 - 01:50 PM

It's the exact same problem. PHP cannot open a source for generating random data.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2020 - 02:00 PM

hi and good evening,

many thanks for the quick reply.

View PostArtificialSoldier, on 10 February 2020 - 08:50 PM, said:

It's the exact same problem. PHP cannot open a source for generating random data.

that said - you think that we have still the issue - that we discussed in the "critical-error-thread"?!

Fatal error: Uncaught Exception: Cannot open source device in /sites/www.my-domain.com/wp-content/plugins/participants-database/vendor/wp-session-manager/wp-session-manager.php:46 Stack trace: #0 /sites/www.my-domain.com/wp-content/plugins/participants-database/vendor/wp-session-manager/wp-session-manager.php(46): session_start() #1 /sites/www.my-domain.com/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(286): wp_session_manager_start_session() #2 /sites/www.my-domain.com/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(312): WP_Hook->apply_filters(NULL, Array) #3 /sites/www.my-domain.com/wp-includes/plugin.php(478): WP_Hook->do_action(Array) #4 /sites/www.my-domain.com/wp-settings.php(392): do_action('plugins_loaded') #5 /sites/www.my-domain.com/wp-config.php(90): require_once('/sites/www.my-domain-...') #6 /sites/www.my-domain.com/wp-load.php(37): require_once('/sites/www.my-domain-...') #7 /sites/www.my-domain.com/wp-blog-header.php(13): require_once('/sites/www.my-domain-...') #8 /sites/www.my-domain.com/index.php(17): require('/sites/www.my-domain-...') #9 in /sites/www.my-domain.com/wp-content/plugins/participants-database/vendor/wp-session-manager/wp-session-manager.php on line 46
There has been a critical error on your website.

this is very interesting - i will try to understand it...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2020 - 02:31 PM

Cannot open source device

That's the error message.

session_start()

And that's the function which triggers it.

In your new site, this is the error message:

Cannot open source device

And this is the function that triggers it:

random_int(0, 35)

PHP cannot generate random data. It generates a random session ID when starting a session, which is why the error happens with session_start. If you search for that error message you'll see people talking about it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2020 - 06:46 AM

Hi

There is no extension for debugging PHP code - it is for debugging Symfony.

If you want to debug code then how you go about it will depend on what exactly it is that you are trying to do. Some PHP editors have debugging tools built in them, or you can just manually enter debug code/breakpoints in the code that you are trying to debug.

I would suggest that you turn error reporting on and install the XDebug extension in your php.ini file. Also, you should try searching on Google for "debugging PHP code" for more help.

Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2020 - 07:03 AM

good day dear Artifical Soldiert - hello dear DITSTEK INNOVATIONS

at: DITSTEK INNOVATIONS a wholeheartedly wellcome here.;)/>.

many thanks for the hints - i will digg deeper into all that. Especially i will talk to the server-admin and will discuss with him the allready gained knowledge-assets regarding the findings.
And i will install the XDebug extension and besides that i will have a closer look at the debugging-options that phpBB has got "onboard"

i come back and report all the findings.

have a great day;).

This post has been edited by sayhello: 12 February 2020 - 07:04 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2020 - 03:37 PM

hello dear Artifical Soldier hello dear DITSTEK INNOVATIONS,

the server is no a bit more stable and the errors on the Wordpress /(open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/) is not within the allowed path(s): )

note: we Modified the open_basedir settings in our hosting account and set them better.
We corrected the open_basedir setting given under 'PHP Settings' area on our server.
To resolve this error we edited the file httpd.conf.
Way before it can be seen in phpinfo in apache2handler section directive Server Root.
For example, in my case this way - / etc / httpd / httpd.conf.

so the wordpress on the same server - is running good - with no errors and no issues at all.

but i have issues with a vhost - where i did not have installed the phpBB version 3.3.0 which resides on that server:

again: as mentioned above - i struggle with some facts that i encountered - the file-structure of the phpBB 3,3: well this is extraordinary confusing and disturbing...

with the phpBB version 3.3 xy we have a annoying file and folder structure

just have a closer look what we have the following listing:

/sites/www.wp-forum.net/install/

with the folders
/convert/
/convertors/
/shemas/

and the files

app.php

and we have the following:

/sites/www.wp-forum.net/phpbb/install

with

/controll
/console
/event
/exception
/helper
/module

installer.php

[php7:error] [pid 9543] [client 37.138.118.127:61431] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Exception: Cannot open source device in /sites/www.wp-forum.net/includes/functions.php:70\nStack trace:\n#0 /sites/www.wp-forum.net/includes/functions.php(70): random_int(0, 35)\n#1 /sites/www.wp-forum.net/includes/functions.php(106): gen_rand_string(16)\n#2 /sites/www.wp-forum.net/phpbb/template/twig/environment.php(202): unique_id()\n#3 /sites/www.wp-forum.net/phpbb/template/twig/environment.php(186): phpbb\\template\\twig\\environment->display_with_assets('installer_main....', Array)\n#4 /sites/www.wp-forum.net/phpbb/template/twig/twig.php(335): phpbb\\template\\twig\\environment->render('installer_main....', Array)\n#5 /sites/www.wp-forum.net/phpbb/install/controller/helper.php(145): phpbb\\template\\twig\\twig->assign_display('body')\n#6 /sites/www.wp-forum.net/phpbb/install/event/kernel_exception_subscriber.php(86): phpbb\\install\\controller\\helper->render('installer_main....', 'Information', false, 500)\n#7 /sites/www.wp-forum.net/vendor/symfony/event-dispatcher/EventDispatcher.php(214): phpbb\\install\\event\\kern in /sites/www.wp-forum.net/includes/functions.php on line 70
[Fri Feb 14 20:19:07.436913 2020] [php7:error] [pid 9543] [client 94.217.101.253:38736] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Exception: Cannot open source device in /sites/www.wp-forum.net/includes/functions.php:70\nStack trace:\n#0 /sites/www.wp-forum.net/includes/functions.php(70): random_int(0, 35)\n#1 /sites/www.wp-forum.net/includes/functions.php(106): gen_rand_string(16)\n#2 /sites/www.wp-forum.net/phpbb/template/twig/environment.php(202): unique_id()\n#3 /sites/www.wp-forum.net/phpbb/template/twig/environment.php(186): phpbb\\template\\twig\\environment->display_with_assets('installer_main....', Array)\n#4 /sites/www.wp-forum.net/phpbb/template/twig/twig.php(335): phpbb\\template\\twig\\environment->render('installer_main....', Array)\n#5 /sites/www.wp-forum.net/phpbb/install/controller/helper.php(145): phpbb\\template\\twig\\twig->assign_display('body')\n#6 /sites/www.wp-forum.net/phpbb/install/event/kernel_exception_subscriber.php(86): phpbb\\install\\controller\\helper->render('installer_main....', 'Information', false, 500)\n#7 /sites/www.wp-forum.net/vendor/symfony/event-dispatcher/EventDispatcher.php(214): phpbb\\install\\event\\kern in /sites/www.wp-forum.net/includes/functions.php on line 70

dear Artifical Soldier dear DITSTEK INNOVATIONS, - i have to digg deeper into all that - so that i can find out
what i need to

a. correct on the server (-configuration)
b. can do on the server
c. find out more insights - in using a clever debug mode or something thelike...

look forward to hear from you
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2020 - 04:45 PM

It's the same thing, pay attention to the error message:

[php7:error] [pid 9543] [client 37.138.118.127:61431] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Exception: Cannot open source device in /sites/www.wp-forum.net/includes/functions.php:70\nStack trace:\n#0 /sites/www.wp-forum.net/includes/functions.php(70): random_int(0, 35)\n#1 /sites/www.wp-forum.net/includes/functions.php(106): gen_rand_string(16)\n#2 /sites/www.wp-forum.net/phpbb/template/twig/environment.php(202): unique_id()\n#3 /sites/www.wp-forum.net/phpbb/template/twig/environment.php(186): phpbb\\template\\twig\\environment->display_with_assets('installer_main....', Array)\n#4 /sites/www.wp-forum.net/phpbb/template/twig/twig.php(335): phpbb\\template\\twig\\environment->render('installer_main....', Array)\n#5 /sites/www.wp-forum.net/phpbb/install/controller/helper.php(145): phpbb\\template\\twig\\twig->assign_display('body')\n#6 /sites/www.wp-forum.net/phpbb/install/event/kernel_exception_subscriber.php(86): phpbb\\install\\controller\\helper->render('installer_main....', 'Information', false, 500)\n#7 /sites/www.wp-forum.net/vendor/symfony/event-dispatcher/EventDispatcher.php(214): phpbb\\install\\event\\kern in /sites/www.wp-forum.net/includes/functions.php on line 70

"Cannot open source device" is the same error message you keep posting. It's the exact same issue. You don't need to mess around with phpBB or whatever else either, this code will produce the error:

<?php

$x = random_int(0, 5);

This is not a problem with phpBB, it's not a problem with Wordpress, it is a problem with how the server is configured. PHP does not have access to what it needs to generate random numbers. It's the same problem. You need to learn how to read error messages, they're telling you what the problem is. This has absolutely nothing to do with folder structures.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2020 - 07:31 PM

hi Artifical soldier

many thanks for the quick reply and the idea-sharing - we allready gave permits to access dev/urandom - so this should support the wanted configuration.

But we have a closer look at the discussed /(mentioned) issues. +

i come back and report the findings.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +