3 Replies - 530 Views - Last Post: 21 February 2020 - 06:20 AM

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Questions about possible freelance client

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:14 PM

A while back I wrote a python script for a menu that scales and I found a possible customer to sell my program for their pizza shope. It wouldn't take long to change the strings and images for the menu to fit their needs. Their current menu has prices covered with tape and it doesn't look very good. I know they have two shops so far and are planning on expanding.

As a novice at this I don't want to under sell or be ripped off so I'd like to ask for some advice.

1. How much would you recommend I start off offering my program?

2. I figured once they need to change the prices or the words for the items I would need to do it. I have a computer engineer who charges solicitors $400 an hour 4 hour minimum. But he has an established relationship with them I don't. What would you recommend?

3. I was going to set the program on a raspberry pi and if I needed to change something make changes on my laptop then remote to the pi and apply the changes.

Any suggestions, ideas or recommendations are welcomed.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Questions about possible freelance client

• I think you'll find it's "Dr"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Questions about possible freelance client

Posted 20 February 2020 - 12:05 AM

I can't comment on anything financial, but from a technical perspective, some things to consider if you haven't already:

1. Is the software under version control?
2. Are you writing automated tests?
3. Are you automating your build and deployment process? This doesn't have to mean setting up a CI/CD system (Jenkins, GoCD, etc.). I've been working on a small personal project and I'm just using a shell script as my pipeline.*
4. How are you monitoring the health of the application so you know when something goes wrong?

* I was at a conference a couple years ago and one speaker was talking about his company's practices. He mentioned that they don't do CI/CD systems, because they like to be as lean as possible. I didn't get a chance to ask how they do their build and deployments, but I'd assume they have scripts or some automation around it!

This post has been edited by ndc85430: 20 February 2020 - 10:13 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Enterprise Software Architect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2020 - 11:25 AM

The last menu system I did like the one I saw from you ended up being around $1500 USD. But, you have everything hardcoded, and it is not user configurable either.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:20 AM

ndc85430
I honestly didn't think about keeping track of error messages if the code fails. I was just thinking I would make the code sell it to them and if it fails they can call me to fix it for them. Which is something I didn't know if I should do what my friend Charles does when he gets called to work at a solicitors office when they call him after hours (He charges $400 an hours 4 hours minimum).

I've run tests to make sure it scales to any monitor and TV as well as testing it on a PI. I haven't run automated tests on it, to be honest I didn't think it needed to be tested for automation since its a straight forward program. Its really just a simple program, the only hard part would be if the pizza shop would want me to re organise the images or the strings appearing on the screen a specific way. It wouldn't difficult, but time consuming to do.

Yes I have version control of my program. I would keep previous versions safe so if I needed to reference them I could open up that program.

astonecipher
My plan was to do the very same thing have it hard coded and if they want to change something they would need to call me. Which is why I wasn't sure how much I should charge them or if it fails put in the contract I would be on call for 'x' amount a month.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1