9 Replies - 654 Views - Last Post: 26 February 2020 - 11:01 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

engineering/reverse engineering and philsophy

Posted 24 February 2020 - 03:10 PM

Do you think having a strong background in philosophy could help one become a better coder or to better reverse engineer code in C or assembly? have you once used ideas u learnt in philosophy in software development or research?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: engineering/reverse engineering and philsophy

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: engineering/reverse engineering and philsophy

Posted 24 February 2020 - 03:30 PM

Please state in what way do you envision philosophy, as a whole, would be a benefit to programming or reverse engineering.

Last time you dumped and dashed on a topic without providing your point of view or argument. Try better with this topic.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Enterprise Software Architect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2020 - 04:40 PM

I philosophically believe, you are wasting your metaphoric time, if time existed, and could be wasted.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2020 - 05:15 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 24 February 2020 - 03:30 PM, said:

Please state in what way do you envision philosophy, as a whole, would be a benefit to programming or reverse engineering.

Last time you dumped and dashed on a topic without providing your point of view or argument. Try better with this topic.

My point is that philosophy develops thinking and logics which is needed in developing/researching software.
I can see that abductive inference which is commonly used in discovering certain metaphysics of the nature of things in philosophy could be applied to reverse engineering to perhaps make us guess the structure of a software to later apply scientific tools to test and prove our assumptions.
in searching for bug I see that the "what if" kind of thinking commonly used in philosophy to check your assumptions can be used for searching for bugs.
I see similarities between the metacognitive(thinking about thinking) kind of thinking of philosophy(where we generalize and model a certain concept and define the structure of it's nature) and templates in C++ or generics in C#.
I see that the peripheral vision developed in philosophy could help one better design software or understand a design of a software.
In philosophy the number of mental models you study is huge, because it doesn't have to be mental models that has a proof, so it really gives u a lot of base for thinking, so you can look at a particular problem and see very loose connections to mental models you know from philosophy and see how you can reshape or rearrange the problem so it get closer and closer to match a mental model you can prove. the more mental models you have in your mind the more clearer you can think and the better you can solve problems.
Do you have more ideas?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 Skydiver   User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2020 - 05:25 PM

Following that premise, highly ranked chess players should make very good reverse engineers. This is because they can hold many many branching strategies in their heads, as well as have the ability to memories many patterns for openings and endgames.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:13 PM

View PostSkydiver, on 24 February 2020 - 07:25 PM, said:

Following that premise, highly ranked chess players should make very good reverse engineers. This is because they can hold many many branching strategies in their heads, as well as have the ability to memories many patterns for openings and endgames.

Same goes for musicians. And yeah, for a long time folks would seek out musicians and chess players and stuff when they needed programmers, because there weren't any schools for software engineering.

Philosophers too to some extent, but not quite so much I think.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 macosxnerd101   User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2020 - 11:02 PM

If we are dining with philosophers, we need to be careful about asking them to pass the salt. I'd rather not have a deadlock over dinner.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2020 - 06:23 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 24 February 2020 - 10:13 PM, said:

View PostSkydiver, on 24 February 2020 - 07:25 PM, said:

Same goes for musicians. And yeah, for a long time folks would seek out musicians and chess players and stuff when they needed programmers, because there weren't any schools for software engineering.

Philosophers too to some extent, but not quite so much I think.

why do you think musicians can hold many branching strategies in their head?
in philosophy you always goes backward and try to play with the variablse to see what's infinitely many pathways it can lead to if you apply inverse thinking or apply "what if" there or some other type of thinking and try to formulate a metaphysics out of it to describe the nature of things. so it requires holding couple of braches backwards/upwards and to move forward and backward in thinking to see where it lead to and to think non-linearly about how things work (as oppose to linear mathematic thinking) which is closer to how current computers work(multi-threading/multi-core).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:41 PM

View Postfork12, on 25 February 2020 - 08:23 AM, said:

You've never played in an ensemble situation, have you?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:01 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 25 February 2020 - 10:41 PM, said:

View Postfork12, on 25 February 2020 - 08:23 AM, said:

You've never played in an ensemble situation, have you?

No, but I would like to understand what it is going on inside their mind when they play, and how do you think it is connected to the kind of thinking requires for programming or researching software.

Thank you!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1