8 Replies - 755 Views - Last Post: 12 March 2020 - 06:00 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

core abstract principle of software

Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:10 AM

There are so many technologies and new ideas that are constantly getting shaped in the software industry and it becomes increasingly very difficult to keep updated.
What do you think is the main core abstract principles and mental models that is needed to be understood to be able to master software engineering? what are the principles that has the most dependents yet don't depend on anything or on not much?
what are the ways that help you work smart and to be able to adapt yourself to fast pacing industry such as software?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: core abstract principle of software

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: core abstract principle of software

Posted 26 February 2020 - 12:18 PM

Are you looking for something not covered in the copious amount of books on the concepts of software, programming, and computer science? Seems a fairly well trod topic.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Skydiver   User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 February 2020 - 02:03 PM

Based on our OP's other thread about philosophy and skillsets, I am guessing our OP is trying to ferret out what core skills/knowledge is needed.

Since our OP made the mistake of asking about software ENGINEERING, rather than programming, then I would say intimately understanding the balancing act between scope vs. resources vs. time and still end up with a quality product.

Now if the question we're about programming, then it's easy to answer: mathematics.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 February 2020 - 02:12 PM

Boooooo math! It ain't done anything for no one!

The only good thing math's ever done is this.

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2020 - 12:58 AM

View PostSkydiver, on 26 February 2020 - 02:03 PM, said:

Based on our OP's other thread about philosophy and skillsets, I am guessing our OP is trying to ferret out what core skills/knowledge is needed.

Since our OP made the mistake of asking about software ENGINEERING, rather than programming, then I would say intimately understanding the balancing act between scope vs. resources vs. time and still end up with a quality product.

Now if the question we're about programming, then it's easy to answer: mathematics.

so do you think that focusing on math and mastering it will make it easy for you master all element of software very fast and adapt yourself quickly to new changes in the software industry?
I think you also need to understand the way math is used by software and how software is dependent on it on the deepest level so you can think very abstractly about software and then you will be able to understand it on a much deeper level.
just as understanding a proof in mathematics of a law makes it very easy for you to use that law and prove many more ideas, so understanding math makes it easy for you to understand software and new ideas about software.
do you have anything to add to what I said? or any objections?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2020 - 05:55 AM

That is a super weird extrapolation there.

What is your ultimate goal? Clearly you are angling for something.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2020 - 07:54 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 27 February 2020 - 05:55 AM, said:

]

My goal is to find the most effective way to master software engineering. what subjects should I focus on so that my understanding of software will grow faster and I will be able to easily adapt myself to new changes in the industry if I master those subjects?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2020 - 08:03 AM

Grab a book, take a class, and start up!

Your posts all point to looking for some secret path to short cutting the actual learning and all that really does is waste your time from the actual learning.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2020 - 06:00 PM

View Postfork12, on 27 February 2020 - 07:54 AM, said:

View Postmodi123_1, on 27 February 2020 - 05:55 AM, said:

]

My goal is to find the most effective way to master software engineering. what subjects should I focus on so that my understanding of software will grow faster and I will be able to easily adapt myself to new changes in the industry if I master those subjects?

Like Mobi said, the only way to learn is to start taking that first step. But don't mistake doing for learning. That is a mistake to many people make. They think that if they put in "enough hours" they will become a "master". This far from truth.

The best thing you can do for your self is to "learn how to learn". There are many books about this so just go to amazon and type in "learning".

Now, what should you learn? You must first learn the fundamentals. Only then can you go on and understand the advanced topics easily and efficiently.

If you do these two things, you will be able to "increase your understanding of software" and "adapt to new changes" faster.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1