Daily code study routine

• (2 Pages)
  • +

27 Replies - 1721 Views - Last Post: 17 May 2020 - 11:13 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Daily code study routine

Posted 29 April 2020 - 12:21 PM

Most of the time when you ask how to get better at coding, they say build a lot, oke I understand.
I study Japanese now and if you want to get better at Japanese you should read a lot or listen a lot right? But still, there is a daily routine you follow, like study grammar, study vocab, basics listening exercises etc..

So my question is. Does improve with code is only achievable with building or are there some minor things you can do on a daily basis, to get better at the bigger picture.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Daily code study routine

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Daily code study routine

Posted 29 April 2020 - 12:33 PM

I would say just coding but everyone is different and you will see a ton of different styles. there is no one right style to code in just like there is no one right way to eat food (left handed, right handed etc)

for me the best way is just to do it
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2020 - 12:57 PM

I always say the only way to learn to write code is to write code, but there are many resources to suggest what sort of code you should write.

There are many sites which offer programming challenges. Explore those, find ones that you enjoy, and do lots of those. As you write these little bits of code, you'll find that you're getting better at solving this sort of problem. The issues that you run into as you try to solve this will point you to things that you need to study up on. Are your solutions timing out? Probably you need to look into algorithms. Are you finding that your code gets complex and hard to manage? Bob Martin's Clean Code is a good read. And so forth - the problems you have, the mistakes you make, will teach you a lot.

If there's a user's group or meetup for your language near you, it's good to connect with them. Tough to meet in person just now, but most groups are holding online gatherings, giving talks and presentations, and so forth. You can learn a lot from listening to what programmers talk about.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Enterprise Software Architect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2020 - 01:00 PM

Depends what you mean by "better"? Where are you lacking? If breaking problems down is the issue, saying to code small projects isn't going to help at all. If you can break things down into manageable pieces, but lack understanding of syntax or built in methods, then repetition is going to be more likely to help that.

Following on your example, if you have trouble with pronunciation, will reading actually help at all? If you have trouble with writing, then speaking it more doesn't improve that.

First figure out where you are having issues, then you can work out a plan to remediate the issues.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2020 - 01:08 PM

I'm busy now with android development, but I just don't really have a clue how to connect the dots. I'm busy now with a to-do app, but it seems like I ask a dozen questions every day, like for every solution I need someone else or a tutorial. I guess I'm lacking syntax I don't really know.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2020 - 01:18 PM

So how are you going about learning? Do you know your learning style? Maybe it is that you are trying to learn in a way that is not the most ideal and makes it that much more difficult?

http://www.education...yles-quiz.shtml
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 Skydiver   User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2020 - 01:30 PM

View Post[email protected], on 29 April 2020 - 04:08 PM, said:

I'm busy now with android development, but I just don't really have a clue how to connect the dots. I'm busy now with a to-do app, but it seems like I ask a dozen questions every day, like for every solution I need someone else or a tutorial. I guess I'm lacking syntax I don't really know.

It feels like you jumped straight in by installing the Android SDK and just fired up the text editor, when you should have started off with understanding how an Android application works, what are mechanics of getting an application unto the device, how to debug an application once it is on the device, etc. Essentially, all the fundamentals outside of coding.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2020 - 01:33 PM

View Post[email protected], on 29 April 2020 - 03:08 PM, said:

I'm busy now with android development, but I just don't really have a clue how to connect the dots.

I'm with Skydiver on this. To me this suggests that maybe you want to back up and think about fundamentals.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2020 - 01:53 PM

View Postastonecipher, on 29 April 2020 - 01:18 PM, said:

So how are you going about learning? Do you know your learning style? Maybe it is that you are trying to learn in a way that is not the most ideal and makes it that much more difficult?

http://www.education...yles-quiz.shtml

I did the test and I'm a visual learner, that makes sense because I really like the Japanese way of study using www.wanikani.com, check it out maybe it is something for you.
I already knew from myself that I need to see things happened and also know why. I guess basically a mentor that can guide me and explain it to me.
Whatever it might be, how can I replicate that myself, being a student and teacher at the same time is so hard.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2020 - 02:04 PM

I'll look up some things for you, the next question is... What are you actually using to learn with now? Or are you just pecking away to see what works?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2020 - 05:53 PM

I keep a running list of nifty ideas, or concepts I've come across. When I have some down time I scroll through the list and pick one. Scope it out, figure out what cool parts I want to visit, and get to it.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2020 - 01:40 AM

I'm into game dev and android, I think I need to step away from unity because I feel like I'm trapped in this loop of tutorials, I think next week I want to start fresh with the defold engine I read it was easier to use with the Lua language.

I'm already applying the advice of chunking down problems into subproblems and try to solve each piece.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2020 - 07:14 AM

Another issue that is coming out, don't hop around in languages. Learn one, then you can move on after concepts are learned. Doing multiple at the same time starting out leads to confusion and not remembering anything.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2020 - 12:32 PM

I pretty much got the fundamental already and some intermediate concepts, I'm coding for several years now, here and there, of course, it's just that I'm stuck with actually coding myself.
I don't want to relay someone else continuously, especially if you want to implement something your own, non-existing. You got any tips on the usage of the documentary. And where can I find more of the vocabulary used in programming maybe I can make my own flashcards to build up my vocab of coding.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 May 2020 - 12:24 PM

My answer to your original question is this:

Practice will build proficiency in whatever you are practicing. However, to say you are practicing programming is a misnomer. Nobody is doing all of programming.

Here are some of the ways I think about learning, whether it's programming or anything else:

1. Learning something I don't already know.

This can be from reading a book, watching a video, talking to a person. It includes the initial repetition for it to become familiar.

2. Practicing a skill I already have

This includes but is not limited to
- repetition to become proficient
- applying the skill to different problems
- thinking about creative uses for the skill
- discovering where applying the skill leads to more problems than it solves
- combining this new skill with skills I already have
- teaching the skill to others

All skills will atrophy if they aren't practiced, albeit to differing amounts. Neglecting a skill for too long means having to go back to stage 1. This has happened to me with Python several times. It has also happened to me with Spectrum BASIC. Although I'll probably never use it again, there was a period of about ten years where I programmed in BASIC regularly. It serves to illustrate that even a highly proficient skilll can atrophy.

3. Discovering what I don't know

This is where I find out new ideas for things to practice. The key is to explore and be playful. I don't know what I don't know so I have to be surreptitious about it.

I read around a topic rather than honing in on specific things.
When I'm learning about one thing I'll seek out alternatives.
If I hear a term I don't know I'll find out what it's about.
I listen to podcasts that guide me into the shallow waters so that I can go deep if I want to.
Most importantly, if someone in my life cares about something enough to mention it to me, even in passing, checking it out is probably more worthwhile than following other sources.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +