2 Replies - 371 Views - Last Post: 30 April 2020 - 09:16 PM

#1 O'Niel   User is online

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

How is 5G faster than 4G?

Posted 30 April 2020 - 04:34 PM

Hi

I read everywhere that 5G will be faster than 4G. But there will be two 'versions of 5G'.
First 5G will use a wave-length similar to 4G/Wifi. And the later version will use millimeter waves.

I understand how the millimeter wave-version can be faster, because you can pack more data when the waves are close to each other.
But how will the first version of 5G be faster? Has it to do with the software 5G will run?

If yes, what makes the software 5G will use faster than 4G's?
I'd like to know more about the technical side of this new technology.

Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How is 5G faster than 4G?

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How is 5G faster than 4G?

Posted 30 April 2020 - 05:48 PM

I don't have much intimate knowledge of wireless technologies, but as far as I do understand, 5G uses a lot of mass MIMO optimizations, similar to the WiFi 6 standard. In that way, it'll be able to handle even more high-bandwidth traffic without quite as many drawbacks as previously.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How is 5G faster than 4G?

Posted 30 April 2020 - 09:16 PM

This is a good read on the difference. It's not just spectrum but tech to send data, packets, and the like.

Excerpt:

5G is a new digital system for transforming bytes - data units - over air. It uses a 5G New Radio interface, along with other new technologies, that utilises much higher radio frequencies (28 ghz compared to 700 mhz - 2500 mhz for 4G) to transfer exponentially more data over the air for faster speeds, reduced congestion and lower latency, which is the delay before a transfer of data begins following an instruction.

This new interface, which uses millimetre wave spectrum, enables more devices to be used within the same geographic area; 4G can support about 4,000 devices per square kilometre, whereas 5G will support around one million
[...]
5G also uses a new digital technology called Massive MIMO, which stands for multiple input multiple output, that uses multiple targeted beams to spotlight and follow users around a cell site, improving coverage, speed and capacity. Current network technologies operate like floodlights, illuminating an area but with lots of wastage of the light/signal. Part of the roll-out of 5G involves installing Massive MIMO and 5G New Radio to all mobile network base stations on top of the existing 4G infrastructure.

https://www.raconteu...bile-technology
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1