3 Replies - 225 Views - Last Post: 05 May 2020 - 02:02 PM

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Can you use OSS in a Paid Android app?

Posted 03 May 2020 - 10:30 PM

Creating a paid app but I need to use OSS. I know the basics. I know you can't fork a oss and remove the licenses, thus claiming it as your own. But let's say I do put the licenses in my code, but I don't make my app open source. Can I legally do that?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Can you use OSS in a Paid Android app?

#2 Skydiver   User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Can you use OSS in a Paid Android app?

Posted 04 May 2020 - 08:33 AM

It depends on the license of the code/libraries you are using. Some of them are very strict copy-left, while others are more lenient about what you do with them.

Open Source doesn't mean that you can't charge for the software. It just makes it a little harder to charge for it when any competent user could build the software from source without paying you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 May 2020 - 08:55 AM

I know of no licences that restrict you from selling the software as a service. In fact, this is sort of a standard business model, and one that was anticipated by RMS from the very start of the Free Software movement.

You are not allowed to restrict others' use of the software that you rely on, and you're required to provide source code (or link to source) for open-source software that you include, but for example if you wanted to make a paid log visualization app using open-source tools, you could totally do that. You just couldn't call it Splunk, because they're already using that name.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 May 2020 - 02:02 PM

Github has put together https://choosealicense.com

It's obviously aimed at people choosing a licence for their software but it's also useful for understanding the main points of licences when deciding whether an OSS package meets your needs.

This page is a great starting point: https://choosealicense.com/licenses/
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1