2 Replies - 152 Views - Last Post: 15 May 2020 - 10:58 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

[[AWS]] Need some help in deploying a NodeJS Server

Posted 15 May 2020 - 02:53 PM

Hello, I want to figure out a quick solution to this :

I have a nodejs server - the code of which is currently running fine on my local machine. I'd like to run this on an EC2 instance on AWS. I am not willing to host this on Github at this moment since I am the sole developer right now, so I would like to know what would be the best way to go about this. I've deployed spring-boot applications in the past on Elastic Bean Stalk successfully with a 1-click solution - just upload the packaged jar. EBS takes care of deploying the jar on the EC2 instance. Is there a similar packaging tool available for Node? Using which, I can create a .gz/zip file which I can just upload in my EBS environment, and EBS can take it from there?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: [[AWS]] Need some help in deploying a NodeJS Server

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: [[AWS]] Need some help in deploying a NodeJS Server

Posted 15 May 2020 - 09:07 PM

View PostSoumikbhat, on 15 May 2020 - 05:53 PM, said:

I am not willing to host this on Github at this moment since I am the sole developer right now

The number of developers does not determine whether you should or should not be using source control. If you care about your code, you should be using source control for just the simple fact that it gives you a way to go back to previous versions of your code. The ability to go back, then gives you the freedom to be more daring about trying things out. One of the things learned during the .COM boom was that you should be willing to "Fail fast." With source control, you can create a new branch and try something new. If it turns out to be a bust, abandon the branch or back backout the last few changes. If it's a good change, merge that back into your master branch.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I think you'll find it's "Dr"
  • member icon

Re: [[AWS]] Need some help in deploying a NodeJS Server

Posted 15 May 2020 - 10:58 PM

You can also have private repos on GitHub for free on personal accounts, if the concern is making the source public.

View PostSkydiver, on 16 May 2020 - 05:07 AM, said:

With source control, you can create a new branch and try something new. If it turns out to be a bust, abandon the branch or back backout the last few changes. If it's a good change, merge that back into your master branch.

Or one can work solely on master if they're doing small commits, feature toggles and testing things well (i.e. trunk-based development) ;).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1