6 Replies - 446 Views - Last Post: 21 May 2020 - 10:27 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Most popular programming languages in the next 5-10 years?

Posted 20 May 2020 - 07:09 PM

I understand nobody can predict the future, but I'm interested what you all think will be the most in-use programming languages in the next 5-10 years. I'm just starting university, and although I have some background in coding I'd like to really make the best of my time learning languages and skills that will actually be used when I graduate.

I know that most likely major languages like Python or Java will still be used, and there will be plenty of legacy code out there written in other languages.

But I'm also sure that other newer languages like Rust, R, Crystal or maybe even a language I haven't heard of will become a desired skill from future employers. These languages aren't "mainstream" (Except R and maybe Rust), but could become (and probably will become) much more widely used.

Many of you on here already work professionally and have a lot of exposure to the industry. What do you think about this?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Most popular programming languages in the next 5-10 years?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Most popular programming languages in the next 5-10 years?

Posted 20 May 2020 - 09:07 PM

Five or ten years is a very long time. That being said learning the principles of programming shifts the onus from one of knowing languages to one knowing the principles of a programming. The syntax becomes a secondary factor.

Example - picking up principles of programming knowledge make vacillating between C#, C++, Java, and VB.NET fairly easy for me. I know what a loop is, and switching between syntax becomes a minor bump.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2020 - 09:37 AM

Alright, that makes sense. I guess for computers as they stand now, the most basic concepts are pretty much the same for most languages.

Do you think any of those underlying principles will change as quantum computing develops further?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2020 - 09:45 AM

that is a question for Carnegie Mellon who specialize in advancing languages
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2020 - 09:47 AM

I would figure quantum computing has their own bucket of fish to boil that will be different than current computing. Yes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:22 AM

Do you think any of those underlying principles will change as quantum computing develops further?

This will not be the case.

Quantum computing is almost purely theoretical at this point. Any quantum computer is in a lab, and it certainly isn't powerful enough to do anything of interest.

The standard model of computation for quantum computing is the circuit model, rather than the Turing Machine model or some flavor of a procedural model like Java or Python. Circuits are very well studied in the classical setting.

I would be surprised if the average CS student/graduate touched a quantum computer in the next 20 years, let alone the next 5 year.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:27 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 21 May 2020 - 10:22 AM, said:

This will not be the case.

Quantum computing is almost purely theoretical at this point. Any quantum computer is in a lab, and it certainly isn't powerful enough to do anything of interest.

The standard model of computation for quantum computing is the circuit model, rather than the Turing Machine model or some flavor of a procedural model like Java or Python. Circuits are very well studied in the classical setting.

I would be surprised if the average CS student/graduate touched a quantum computer in the next 20 years, let alone the next 5 year.

Okay, that's good to know. I'll try to focus more on classical computer principles for now then.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1