6 Replies - 1518 Views - Last Post: 30 June 2020 - 06:49 PM

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Help me understand: why take down videos/photos of looters?

Posted 01 June 2020 - 07:59 PM

I don't understand the backlash that is going on in social media against people posting videos/photos of looters where the faces of the looters are visible?

Why take them down? Why hate the people who posted them? The looters are doing something that goes beyond exercising their First Amendment rights. What am I not getting?

Is this just a matter of it's not nice to be a tattle tale? If that is the case, then down with all the whistleblowers and the Me Too movement.

Or is this an attempt to control what will eventually go into the history books? Try to prevent media of the looting and vandalism making it into the future textbooks and whitewash things to look like everything was just about peaceful protests and violent clashes with police forces?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Help me understand: why take down videos/photos of looters?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Help me understand: why take down videos/photos of looters?

Posted 01 June 2020 - 08:28 PM

I imagine it's a little of column a and a little from column b. Snitches and stitches vibe and masking anyone who is part of a larger group operating in the cover of a protest.

There's no actual parity with other events, issues, or similar situations. Reasoning is capricious and selective.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2020 - 06:33 AM

I think most lawyers try to take down videos and discussion of active investigations. Idk.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2020 - 07:31 AM

it could also be that people are posting videos that are form other countries, other times, etc and trying to pass them off as our riots.
I see a lot of people blaming black people for all the looting and riots however when someone points out to them that it is actually white people doing most of the rioting and looting, then they get pissed at you. so far the vast majority of the people that have been arrested have been white alt right guys pretending to be antifa
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:05 AM

My mom said all the videos she saw were all black people and I'm like LMFAO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO and she got pissed off and kinda hung up. Like one on Reddit yesterday of some 20 year old white boy running out of a VANS with an armful of shoe boxes. He saw the cops as he came out and dropped them and ran. Almost all the Target looters were white redneck looking people. Most of the pics you see of people busting windows are white people.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2020 - 09:39 AM

"anti violence" tos, probably advertisement backlash.

Years ago I had a friend that found a video on YouTube of a good friend of his getting his ass beat by a group of teenagers. They were working with police to to review the video & YouTube pulled it for copyright. *shrug*

I miss the days of websites hosting their own content. I mean, I get the convince of social media, but it's far less community & more like everyone just slinging shit with the occasional warden beat downs. Yay big data & advertising dollars.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:49 PM

View PostSkydiver, on 01 June 2020 - 08:59 PM, said:

Or is this an attempt to control what will eventually go into the history books? Try to prevent media of the looting and vandalism making it into the future textbooks and whitewash things to look like everything was just about peaceful protests and violent clashes with police forces?

I think it's an attempt to keep political operatives from using a few looters to change the subject. Why should we be discussing for example, a shooting in Seattle and not all the other shootings occurring around the country every day? You can easily find far too many videos of police violating the law online, and the protests are about those crimes. Because they're committed by police, the crimes are inherently more serious and more dangerous. It does no good to distract from them.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1