Replies To: Tomcat server modifications

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Tomcat server modifications

Posted 04 September 2020 - 07:20 AM

Why is this in the lounge?

What are you asking for people to look at?

Why are those links super sketchy looking?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2020 - 08:21 AM

It's API docs for a file inserted in the server and the other doc is source code.

If you read the beginning of the API docs it explains the system and modification use.

Sketchy links, well nobody would really know much if you look at the dates in the docs.

I would thought you talk about it more than anything else, so don't figure a better place.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2020 - 08:34 AM

Okay.. so is this something you found?
You wrote?
You are developing?
Something you like, what people to critique, or what?

What's it do?
Benefits over alternatives?
A github link?

You sort of just dropped this rock and didn't explain much about it, your interest in it, or even started a conversation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2020 - 08:48 AM

It's something I wrote because often small machines such as small business servers do not carry much RAM although enough for this trick but often their disk's and hardware BUS are slow and cheap or out of date

This J2EE class is added to the server and supplies an interface for the servlet programmer to obtain files stored on a byte array.
That eliminates blocking up the disk heads when common repeated files such as site style and gui parts are called from a page to load.
It also has a maximum number of bytes ready instantly rather than continually communicating for tiny pieces of data.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 Skydiver   User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2020 - 10:21 AM

Nowadays, code in print format or PDF format is pretty much considered inaccessible dead code. Sure, yes back in the 80's having source code in Byte magazine was the way to publish. Nowadays, you should publish your code in Github or Bitbucket.

I'm not getting your assertion regarding small business servers not having enough RAM. Perhaps true if a small business is using a 1990's or 2000's era machine as a small business server, but I feel that is not true if they follow best practices and never have a machine that is more than 7 years old. (I believe the number of 7 years is magic because it's the breakeven point for diminishing returns for tax write offs for the hardware.) Any small business buying a machine planning on it for business use would have have started with at least 12GB if not more.

Anyway, I feel that users would get more bang for their buck by just putting some kind of web caching like Nginx in front of Tomcat. Nginx would have less overhead than the JVM and therefore make better use of the perceived scarce RAM resources as compared to Java managing that same RAM.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#7 ArtificialSoldier   User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2020 - 11:52 AM

Even though you're responding, I'm not positive this isn't some kind of phishing thing. You've got a subdomain that mentions Australia on x10.mx, which is a vague Mexican domain name?

I'm not saying you're trying to spread malware, I'm just saying that this is what it looks like when someone tries to spread malware.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#8 no2pencil   User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2020 - 07:34 PM

View Postnicephotog, on 04 September 2020 - 11:48 AM, said:

because often small machines such as small business servers do not carry much RAM

What is the average amount of ram that you see in a small business server?
How many clients with these small business servers have you worked with in 2019/2020?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2020 - 09:38 PM

View PostSkydiver, on 04 September 2020 - 10:21 AM, said:

Nowadays, code in print format or PDF format is pretty much considered inaccessible dead code. Sure, yes back in the 80's having source code in Byte magazine was the way to publish. Nowadays, you should publish your code in Github or Bitbucket.

I'm not getting your assertion regarding small business servers not having enough RAM. Perhaps true if a small business is using a 1990's or 2000's era machine as a small business server, but I feel that is not true if they follow best practices and never have a machine that is more than 7 years old. (I believe the number of 7 years is magic because it's the breakeven point for diminishing returns for tax write offs for the hardware.) Any small business buying a machine planning on it for business use would have have started with at least 12GB if not more.

Anyway, I feel that users would get more bang for their buck by just putting some kind of web caching like Nginx in front of Tomcat. Nginx would have less overhead than the JVM and therefore make better use of the perceived scarce RAM resources as compared to Java managing that same RAM.

Of GitHub etc, there was soutceforge , I've never had occasion to use it, I'll look into it.

Understand what you mean about RAM and what would be present but the fact is also with better machines anyhow businesses are blocking database R/W , the el cheapo end is just an example of how much help the system is , and with a J2EE server nginx would not be a way of solving it in the J2EE architecture terms of later refactor, extensivising and plugability.

This post has been edited by nicephotog: 04 September 2020 - 09:40 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2020 - 09:48 PM

View PostArtificialSoldier, on 04 September 2020 - 11:52 AM, said:

Even though you're responding, I'm not positive this isn't some kind of phishing thing. You've got a subdomain that mentions Australia on x10.mx, which is a vague Mexican domain name?

I'm not saying you're trying to spread malware, I'm just saying that this is what it looks like when someone tries to spread malware.

I caution you that you are saying is a total misrepresentation of my site, and whom I am.
It is indeed an Australian operated site and for most presents free information.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 Skydiver   User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2020 - 06:08 AM

Moving this thread to Share My Project...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 Skydiver   User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2020 - 05:09 PM

I just did a quick scan of the code in the PDF. I highly recommend a consistent indentation style, and a consistent naming convention. It was ready hard to follow the code inside the PDF particularly with the silly italic font.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2020 - 09:31 PM

Strange about the font, I'm reasonably sure it's some sort of courier of was developed in the 1800s for typewriters and easier reading font recognition, plenty of people had bad eyesore from lower nutrition levels during growth and life??

Indents I don't care for much but maybe.

Naming conventions, most of the code is locked off from access hence the interface, only the interface method names would be a reasonable scrutiny.

This post has been edited by Skydiver: 06 September 2020 - 08:10 AM
Reason for edit:: Removed unnecessary quote. No need to quote the post above yours.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I think you'll find it's "Dr"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2020 - 09:44 PM

It's a bit strange you'd go to the effort of creating a PDF of the code, rather than just including the source file. My ISP blocks the domain, so I can't even see the code, but Skydiver is usually right about things so to add to what they said: both indentation and naming are important. Indentation because it lets you quickly see what code is inside a block (OK, there are curlies in Java, but still) and naming because it helps one understand what things are for. Remember that you're always programming for at least two people: you and you six months from now (or some other time in the future) where the latter is likely to have lost the context they had originally.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2020 - 05:11 AM

If that's all that is is a popup blocker set heavy, there is no reason to worry about any type of spam, it's all clean free info!

The API docs for the Ramfile interface
https://www.scribd.c...Ramfile-Javadoc

The source code as pdf should be fourth Sept 2020
https://www.scribd.c...re-RAMfileArray

Thought that was bad Scribd is a partially free site but you need to join to actually download.

This post has been edited by nicephotog: 06 September 2020 - 05:15 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »