The New C++ Forum Policy

new people start here

• (2 Pages)
  • +

16 Replies - 5574 Views - Last Post: 11 October 2005 - 09:47 PM Rate Topic: -----

• Lucky.Code
  • member icon

• View blog

The New C++ Forum Policy

Post icon  Posted 08 July 2002 - 02:07 AM

In this forum there are special rules that are needed to be followed.

1)TRY TO GIVE SOME CODE WHEN ASKING A QUESTION!!! If you are in a class please DO NOT GIVE ALL OF YOUR CODE we do not want to give your classmates the answer.

2) There are many computer science majors that come to the dream.in.code c++ section so therefore we need to be concerned with cheating. Here at dream.in.code we do not condone cheating and as a result we do not give out code. If you ask a question it is suggested you SHOW YOUR CODE. This shows that you attempted to solve the problem yourself.

3) WE ARE HERE TO LEARN!!! NOT TO WRITE CODE FOR EACHOTHER! If you want a peice of code written for you in c++ hire somebody. Do not leave posts that say "i need a peice of code written for me" If you wish to hire somebody here at dream.in.code please leave it to EMAIL ONLY.

4) Do not lose your temper at people's advice. We have many experienced and inexperienced programmers here at dream.in.code that are just trying to help you. i am going to steal a quote from NULL and VOID who got it from "How to Ask Questions the Smart Way"

Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offence. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-bullshit communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy.

When you perceive rudeness, try to react calmly. If someone is really acting out, it is very likely that a senior person on the list or newsgroup or forum will call him or her on it. If that doesn't happen and you lose your temper, it is likely that the person you lose it at was behaving within the hacker community's norms and you will be considered at fault. This will hurt your chances of getting the information or help you want.

Link: <a class='post' href='http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html' target='_blank'>http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html </a>

5) Make your questions and answers clear as possible. SHOW YOUR CODE!!!(noticing a trend) Code helps us help you in so many ways. We can see what you are trying to do, or where your error is. Also GIVE ERROR MESSAGES!!!! This tells us what to look for and where to look for it. REMBER THE CLEARER YOU ARE THE FASTER YOU RECEIVE THE ANSWERS AND LESS QUESTIONS ARE NEEDED!

6) IF YOU CAN'T WRITE CODE ASK THE QUESTION but do not expect a direct answer, EXPECT TO BE LEAD IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION!

7) If anybody is seen giving out code or asking for code i will close or edit the topic, if it continues i will recommend that you are banned from dream.in.code!

8) Try looking around the forum first before you ask a question. The answer might already be here. We now have quite a large amount of responses to questions and I am sure there is somebody that might have had the same problem as you. You just have to look for it. As programmers we are always trying to cut down on repetition of code. So look around and then ask, you might get a faster answer that way then having somebody respond to you.

I have not had too many problems in the past but this is for future reference for all new users of dream.in.code.

If anybody has a question about the policy contact me, or post the question here.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: The New C++ Forum Policy

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: The New C++ Forum Policy

Posted 21 November 2002 - 05:01 PM

I agree with you, i admit one of my first posts was to write someone a program for there school project cos they didnt know how to do it.

But the thing is if you just write the whole program for someone they wont learn anything from it apart from how to copy and paste!!

I know nothing about C++ What so ever, I normaly post on the VB forum.

I would like to learn it though, but to learn it i dont want people to write programs for me!

I find a good way for learning is to give someone a simple problem and see if they can use C++/VB to solve it.

Its ok to ask questions along the way! thats the whole idea of this Website, but u cant just say I dont know how to do this program can someone do it for me!

anyway, thats all I have to say!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2003 - 11:37 AM

Good rulez, i too don't spend much time with C++, but VB.

i personnaly like to view other ppl their codes, that's the best way i learn, but i don't need a forum for that, i just find some tutorials. So i think it's good to not entirely write codes!

But plz don't SHOUT to much in ya topic runtime error :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Check, check, 1, 2.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2003 - 12:32 PM

DaFeliX, on Mar 17 2003, 03:37 PM, said:

Good rulez, i too don't spend much time with C++, but VB.

i personnaly like to view other ppl their codes, that's the best way i learn, but i don't need a forum for that, i just find some tutorials. So i think it's good to not entirely write codes!

How about you don't pull up 6 month old threads and post dumb comments?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2003 - 01:35 PM

DaFeliX, on Mar 17 2003, 11:37 AM, said:

plz realize that the SHOUTING was there to emphasize that those items are important...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Lucky.Code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2003 - 08:35 PM

Actually thats why this topic is pinned so people can make comments on it. I want the forum policy to be a living document so any comments here are appreciated.

As for the "yelling", i capitalized those certain phrazes so that people that just want to skim the forum policy see the rules that i would like to emphasize here in the c++ forum.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2003 - 05:11 AM

But caps isn't always "shouting" - it can be used just to get the reader's attention, possibly because it is an important subject.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• printf("I'm a %XR",195936478);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 December 2004 - 10:51 AM

Very Practical Rules...especially for newbies...
While programming over the net a lot of people find it difficult to accept that there are people better than them. They should infact learn from the better coders to become better themselves. Just like you said:" WE ARE HERE TO LEARN".
Even the best of coders may not know some stuff...but hey...that's why we're all here...aren't we? B)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 December 2004 - 11:08 AM

It's also worth noting that (at least in the C++ forums) we often don't give out whole code solutions as many people use this as a resource for school assignments. Leading in the right direction, help with debugging, and suggestions are the better way to go.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Touched by his noodly appendage

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2005 - 02:25 AM

RobotDeathSquad, on Mar 17 2003, 11:32 AM, said:

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 March 2005 - 11:44 AM

just wanted to know m i violating any rule over here ??? :blink:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Lucky.Code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 March 2005 - 10:30 PM

Well after reading your posts.... not really breaking any rules. When you do, we will be quick to tell you :wink:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• rÍvant.toujours
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 March 2005 - 11:10 PM

indeed
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Lucky.Code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2005 - 10:34 PM

new amendment to the policy. #8
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2005 - 10:41 PM

Just as a side note to amendment 8 and your post in general, I've added rules to the PHP, C++, Java, and a couple other programming forums so we don't have to keep asking for code.

Also, as you said, we do have many answers now... google just updated it's index from today's Deep Crawl and there are now 25,100 pages indexed by google. Using the search on the right side of the screen will usually find an answer very quickly!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +