7 Replies - 736 Views - Last Post: 03 October 2020 - 08:57 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Attach SSD while using HDD

Posted 30 September 2020 - 03:26 AM

I already have HDD and surely all data including OS on it. So, how can I attach SSD and install OS on it? For instance, my BIOS version is 1.7 and because of it my keyboard cannot be activated before OS starts. Therefore I cannot enter BIOS to change boot settings.

How can I resolve this issue? Keep in mind that I have HDD with OS on it. I would like to move all to SSD. Install OS there. Any help would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Attach SSD while using HDD

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Attach SSD while using HDD

Posted 30 September 2020 - 06:00 AM

do you have the dell start up disks?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2020 - 06:08 AM

I'm pretty sure that you can have both HDD & SSD drives, but only one can be the designated drive where the BIOS will look for the MBR. Are you going to set the SSD to be bootable, or continue to use the HDD? If not, then you should be able to attach the SSD, verify that BIOS at least see's the drive at boot, & then the OS should be able to find & format it naturally.

If you are wanting to the SSD to be your OS drive, what I would do is switch in the BIOS to use the SSD, & if necessary put BIOS into the correct mode to use SSD for booting. Sometimes the BIOS may require you to enter legacy mode to use an HDD. At any rate, with the BIOS set to use the SSD as the primary booting drive, I would then install the OS onto the SSD. Once you have a bootable OS on the SSD, I would then attach the HDD, verify that BIOS is able to see the drive at bootup, & then your OS (booted from the SSD) should now see the HDD.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2020 - 02:38 PM

You can try connecting SSD on SATA_1, while moving HDD to SATA_2, if previously HDD was on SATA_1, or you can connect only one disk if you dont have any plans to use them both.
Try activate BIOS with different keyboard, PS/2 keyboard, or other USB keyboard.
To move HDD data to SSD, you can clone it. Because of partitions size, make sure to resize partitions, so it can be put on smaller SSD, same or less size is good, if its less, you can expand it later on.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2020 - 05:56 PM

View PostRadius Nightly, on 30 September 2020 - 05:38 PM, said:

so it can be put on smaller SSD, same or less size is good, if its less, you can expand it later on.

With GParted ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2020 - 06:27 AM

He is talking about Windows, so even Windows Disk Management can be used. Im using EaseUS Partition Master Tehnician, but any partitioner can do it, in fact, im holding my backups or boot and system drive in image with compression like that with vSnapshoot, so whatever i do, if i break the OS, or disk gets broken, i can always insert any disk, and simply restore fully functional OS with all my programs and settings in 5-15min depending on the disk speed. Since im trying to hold system partition under 40GB (because all my stuff on system consumes around 32GB, in compression its around 12GB-16GB), gives me adventage to put it on any disk and expand size. Having backup with bigger size can be put on smaller disk, but usually it end up with strange corruptions and nonsense problems, not only related to MBR. If OS is still operational, then i dont need 3rd party bootable disk, such as USB stick, bootable Windows installation or so, if i can log out, hold shift and select restart, Windows core will be loaded in RAM as its own OS and i can do all things from there and CMD, launch and delete partitions, restore UUID, restore the clone or whatever.
Modern BIOS can read MBR from disk, but it can also read UEFI from disk thats mostly really good thing, so regardless of order, you can always boot from the disk and its own UEFI partition will be called, but some BIOS like to make copy of UEFI from the disk to the BIOS, and i dont like it, because showing duplicates of UEFI leads to boot the disk that doesnt exist or is the wrong disk, so things doesnt go well.

This post has been edited by Radius Nightly: 01 October 2020 - 06:32 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2020 - 11:31 AM

Alright guys, thanks for help. It works fine. :bananaman:
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -