4 Replies - 412 Views - Last Post: 27 October 2020 - 09:50 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Running a business while traveling full time, need advice

Posted 26 October 2020 - 11:20 AM

Currently my home base is in Arizona, and this is where I registered my LLC and work out of my home address.

We're planning on traveling for a while, basically living full time in an RV traveling the country. I can work my business as long as I have my internet connection!

My question is, what happens to my LLC when I no longer have an Arizona address? Really I'll have NO permanent address!

Do I need to set up my home address using some kind of mail forwarding service? I know PO Boxes can often not be used for physical address registrations, so that might not be an option.

Also, if my address is no longer in Arizona, does that mean my LLC can't be registered there any more? Is there some kind of "all nation" LLC registration so that it's not connected to just one state?

I want to maintain all normal LLC protections, business insurance, being able to receive mail, checks, banking, etc, while we travel.
Also note that when we're done traveling, probably only a year or two really, we'll likely not move back to Arizona, but may up toward the east coast.

One option I'm considering is keeping our current house and renting it. This means I'll still own property in AZ, even though it's not my business address any more. At least I would still have some kind of stake in Arizona, if that matters?

Can the LLC be "transferred" state to state? Should I pick a different state to register? Register in all states!

And speaking of banking, I want to use the most "available" bank possible while we travel. I'm leery of using any kind of 100% online banks because there is still some comfort in having local branches. But this means sticking with banks that have the most physical branches, like Bank of America, Chase, etc. Currently we have a personal Captial One online bank, personal Bank of America checking, and I do business in USBank. I would certainly considering changing all this around to whatever would work best traveling.

Anyway, some guidance and resources would be helpful. Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Running a business while traveling full time, need advice

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Running a business while traveling full time, need advice

Posted 26 October 2020 - 11:31 AM

Honestly you would be speaking with an attorney, CPA, or lawyer about it. Maybe hit up legalzoom or a score.org member.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2020 - 06:27 PM

Well from what I know where you register your business doesn't always mean you have to actually be stationed there. I use to work for a company that was headquartered in Canada but was registered in Nevada. But what Modi said, you really need to speak to the professionals. You might have to go from LLC to a sole proprietorship or something and that I think essentially says that YOU are the business and so where you are is where your business is. Of course the downside I think is that you also take on all the liability if something in the company goes wrong.

But again, I don't really know all the specifics and a professional CPA or lawyer is your best bet. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2020 - 07:54 PM

It's true you can register your LLC from other places. A lot of small businesses register in Delaware for example. But my issue would be not having a stationary mailing address or physical presence.

Some clients of mine have to register me into their accounting department and take 30 days just to mail a check. I can't be sending them new addresses every time I move around, so a dedicated physical (not PO box) address would be very helpful.

I'll keep hunting for ideas.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 October 2020 - 09:50 AM

Back when I registered my LLC in Ohio, there are different types of LLC to select, transient (which means the business can travel out of it's registered zip-code) & non-transient. For transient licenses, there is a breakdown of which zip-code to collect taxes for, based on location of sale, location of the buisness, ect ect. I believe the original purpose was to collect sales tax on items sold on eBay. At any rate, not sure what type of setup that Arizona has, & as modi123_1 suggested, checking with your cpa &/or lawyer is probably the correct course of action. The IRS doesn't respond forgivingly to "I didn't know".

View Postzackw, on 26 October 2020 - 10:54 PM, said:

But my issue would be not having a stationary mailing address or physical presence.

For my current business, I needed to have an address of registration for within the state, even though I live out of the state. For registering my EIN, I want to say this was a "representative" address, & is only used to send mail intended for me about the business. This was all guidance by my lawyer, so I'm not 100% sure of the wording/naming. Which goes back to my previous suggestion.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1