4 Replies - 398 Views - Last Post: 12 April 2021 - 08:32 AM

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

2021 Fitness Thread

Posted 12 April 2021 - 06:13 AM

POPULAR

It's springtime, and we all know what that means: B9 is in the midst of her annual existential crisis and back on the get healthy or die trying bandwagon!

Thanks to COVID, I am now working from home full-time forever. I am 100% awesome with this. However, it used to be that the extent of my physical activity in a day was walking from my desk to the bathroom halfway across the massive building that housed my office. Now I spend my days in my home office, literally right next door to the bathroom. So even that tiny sliver of exercise is gone.

During the first half of 2020, I didn't exercise, like, at all. I sat and sat and sat and ate and ate and ate until I noticed my pants were barely closing and exerting any amount of energy - putting on shoes, making sandwiches, walking to the bathroom and back - started leaving me a little winded with sore knees. It was painful to stand up for more than 5 minutes, my hips and my back would hurt almost immediately. Everything had atrophied and something had to give.

So I broke out the old workout DVDs - I have a metric shitton of titles, the resistance bands, the little 1- and 2-pound hand weights, the exercise ball, the yoga mats - because, as we all know, I try (and fail) at this endeavor every. freaking. year.

After three months of meal prepping and starting my days with Richard Simmons, Leslie Sansone, Steve Ross, and/or Tony Horton, two things occurred to me: (1) I hate cooking, and (2) exercise might be the most boring freaking thing on the planet.

I solved the hatred of cooking issue by just... not cooking. I started buying frozen meals that can be microwaved, milk and cereal, premade salads, greek yogurt, and a ton of fresh fruits and veggies. The hubs and the kids (who will be 18 and 20 next month) are perfectly capable of fending for themselves. I subsist almost entirely on fresh produce and the occasional dippy egg with toast. It took a while, but I no longer feel guilty for not making dinner like a good little suburban housewife. Fuck them kids.

The boredom with exercise was a little more difficult to fix. It kind of felt like I was going through my morning slog without leaving the house. I hated my 2-3 hour (thanks to rush hour) commute into the office and I hated my 30-60 minute workouts in the basement. It occurred to me that what made my commutes bearable was audiobooks. I could drive AND be transported to a magical world outside the dreary darkness of Pittsburgh. But audiobooks and workout videos don't jive very well. It's hard to focus on one while being distracted by the other. I needed something MORE boring.

Q: What's both affordable AND more dull and uninspiring than repeating the same 20 workout videos in perpetuity?
A: A stationary bike.

So I bought a bike, and I picked some audiobooks, and I love it. I hit play, start pedaling, close my eyes, and drift away to whole other worlds until my workout timer goes off to tell me I'm done. It's pure magic.

I've dropped 36 pounds since November. It's not coming off quite as quickly as I'd like, but slow and steady wins the race, right?

---------------------------------------

TL;DR: I have the fat. I don't want to have the fat. I am trying to have less of the fat. And I hate cooking.

---------------------------------------

How's everyone else faring in pandemic fitnessland? Have you gotten buff and lean in quarantine? Learned anything new and exciting about yourself? Have tips to share? Inspiration to offer? Misery that's longing for company?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 6
  • +

Replies To: 2021 Fitness Thread

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: 2021 Fitness Thread

Posted 12 April 2021 - 06:46 AM

Fuck them kids

LMFAO! Wow.... Also congrats on getting back into shape. I started the pandemic at 221, just got on the scale this morning at 247, so yeah, that's how that's going. I was doing well with walking every day last fall, but then winter hit and I didn't. Now that it's warm I've been doing it sporadically, but I'm scared to get super into it with the cicadas coming out this year because I will not be leaving the house lmao.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2021 - 07:52 AM

View PostNeoTifa, on 12 April 2021 - 08:46 AM, said:

congrats on getting back into shape

Amorphous blob with slightly smaller FUPA really isn't a shape. I haven't seen 247 pounds in a LONG time. I'm hoping to get there again some day.

View PostNeoTifa, on 12 April 2021 - 08:46 AM, said:

I'm scared to get super into it with the cicadas coming out this year

Have you considered walking every day until the cicadas show up? Like, get in as much as you can now, so you're that much further ahead later?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2021 - 08:13 AM

Sounds like a well-executed plan B9. Well done.

Me, I've been holding steady weight-wise. I gotta figure it's the daily walk, because apart from that I'm pretty sedentary. Occasionally I get the urge to do some exercise, but it never lasts.

With the weather warming up I expect I'll be on my bike a lot for the next few months.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2021 - 08:32 AM

Yes, I have, and I do it sporadically, but my anxiety about those nasty ass bugs have me hyperventilating. I honestly think what happened with that sentence is that my brain moved faster than my hands. I meant getting into going to the gym since I'm getting my cootie shot but didn't want to get into anything due to me not wanting to leave the house. I'm thinking to cancel it tbh. By the time my vaccine is fully functional, they'll be coming out. Once they're gone, I'll be moving 30 mins away. :/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1