7 Replies - 402 Views - Last Post: 11 May 2021 - 02:06 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

PHP frantic updates?

Posted 10 May 2021 - 11:19 AM

Not really so much a problem as just a general question of what has gotten into PHP ground. everything was all quiet we sat on 5.6 for ages. Then 7.2 came and a lot of stuff had to be reprogrammed.... followed by 7.3 or 4 .... and now 8???

That a lot of updates in such a short time for guys who've sat on the same version for years. Did something change over there, I don't really seem to find any information on the web. BTw I'm not complaining it's needed and we were complaining about it for ages.

Just creating a lot of extra grind for me and clients don't always seem to understand when their sites don't function 100% and we need to replace some depreciated function.

So now I guess I would ask from the guys using other programming languages and their primary that also update often how do you handle this?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: PHP frantic updates?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: PHP frantic updates?

Posted 10 May 2021 - 12:06 PM

The problem with sitting on the same version for years is that it caused PHP to fall behind. What you're seeing is the result: Much catching up needed to be done.

By the way, the delay was nearly fatal, and it should not have been allowed. Serious security issues exist in 5.6
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2021 - 01:07 PM

What im getting from your post is that this rushing around is kinda temporary or at least this frequency, sort of like stabilizing things? and at a certain point, the frequency of the updates will fall more within normal ranges?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2021 - 02:33 PM

I wouldn't say it's "frantic". As someone who's kept up with PHP over the years, the idea that you've still been working on 5.x up to this point is kind of mindblowing. We've had 7 for 6 years now, and 8 has been out for half a year by this point. The updates are steady, but pretty well-spaced.

PHP was indeed in dire straits, and it's beautiful to see them finally catching up with the rest of the industry. The only thing you can really do is upgrade your codebases, find new frameworks, and HODL.

PHP is a beautiful language and I'm glad they've learnt from the past, to the extent they have.

Also note that once you upgrade your codebases to PHP 8, further "keeping up" should be at a minimum maintenance level.

This post has been edited by Splashsky: 10 May 2021 - 02:36 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2021 - 04:14 PM

View PostSplashsky, on 10 May 2021 - 04:33 PM, said:

... the idea that you've still been working on 5.x up to this point is kind of mindblowing.

True.

Sorry if this seems a bit blunt, but in my experience if a project is still using 5.6 it is poorly managed and very likely suffers from many significant weak points.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2021 - 05:22 AM

Oh, I don't think I disclosed when we moved over - granted it wasn't immediately as a lot of planning had to be put into place for both clients and stuff that was being developed locally.

I still remember we had sent out emails to all our clients and do it in sections. Like I said many did not understand so we didn't dare ask for a fee. After that, however, we updated our terms regarding any changes that need to be made due to a language upgrading, ultimately we gave clients the choice.

What I am guilty of however is thinking that after 7.2 it would be a while before anything else came along ( Like the same while it took them to get from 5.6 to 7) so we were late to 7.3 and the rest.

However, going back to my original question it seems that you are saying that this is the way it is ( as with all languages ) which is fine. We just have to be on the ball about it.

Thank you for your inputs.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2021 - 08:27 AM

I apologize if I came off as kind of pointed - I had just construed this as you hadn't realized PHP 7 and beyond existed, lol.

Anywho, yeah. I'd say this is now a pretty normal release cycle and they're doing a solid job. Even across changes like 7.2-7.3 there's not a large enough difference I think to break most codebases.

From here on, just gotta keep up. Frameworks like Laravel go a long way in helping with that painful part of the process.

Good luck, my guy!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2021 - 02:06 PM

There's been a new version every year since 5.6 in 2014, but a lot of servers supported both 5.6 and 7 because of incompatible changes, and that meant a lot of sites didn't bother to do the work to upgrade to 7. It's been an option since 2015 though.

https://en.wikipedia...Release_history
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1