11 Replies - 1245 Views - Last Post: 28 June 2021 - 05:09 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

I'm not a real programmer.

Posted 26 June 2021 - 05:51 PM

For a long time I believed myself to be a programmer because I knew several programming languages and could use them to write programs. I even had a job at a small startup developing applications for clients, a job that lasted four years. But I was never a computer programmer because I had no background in computer science.

Also, I never designed an application before implementing it except in two computer science classes in college. Any other time I developed an application I winged it. In light of all these things I am not a computer programmer. I am a coder.

So now I ask you. Besides going back to college, what should I do to become a real programmer, so that I can build real software according to real software engineering principles?

Thank you for your answers.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: I'm not a real programmer.

• I wrote you an code
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: I'm not a real programmer.

Posted 26 June 2021 - 07:30 PM

You've differentiated among several terms without really defining why you do or don't fit into any of them:

* computer scientist
* coder
* computer programmer
* software engineer

The middle two seem the same, the former has little to do with the other 3, and the latter is inconsistently defined anyway.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2021 - 08:49 AM

Just practice. One doesn't have to have a degree to be a programmer.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2021 - 09:20 AM

POPULAR

But I was never a computer programmer because I had no background in computer science.

This argument has no merit. What makes you think you have to have a background in computer science to be a programmer? Do keep in mind that a lot of people have a background in computer science but are not considered programmers. IT security, networkers, devops etc. These people are not necessarily programmers yet have computer science backgrounds.

If you write code, especially as a job, you can consider yourself a programmer. I think most of us professional programmers don't mind people calling themselves a programmer as long as they are honest about their skills and experience. I know for me, I hate people picking up a book on coding, write a few sample programs and then leaping into the job market calling themselves a professional programmer. When in reality you are a beginner and inexperienced trying to pass yourself off as a pro and taking work from those who have put in the time, effort and learning to become a real professional.

But if you are saying "Hey, I write code, I am still new and wish to learn more" most professional programmers are responding with "Hey, welcome aboard!"
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2021 - 02:07 PM

Pop quiz: A real programmer will use bubble sort on a million item list without a second thought. True or false?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2021 - 10:54 PM

View PostMartyr2, on 27 June 2021 - 05:20 PM, said:

But I was never a computer programmer because I had no background in computer science.

This argument has no merit.

Most peoples in my country does not have any knowledge about computer science, or even anything about computers.
They learn things in college, such as computer parts (MBO, HDD, Sound Card, GPU, VGA, PSU...), and some basic concept how it works, as well as some software like AutoCAD, CATIA, Photoshop, Flash, Bloodshed. They learn couple of basic commands for programming languages like C, C++, C#, Pearl, Python, Jave, JS, HTML, PHP... And that everything basic knowledge, for something more, they have to work on their own.
Later on, they end up in company writing in Erlang. Or they end up on ships as programmers.
But when it comes to change desktop wallpaper, buying a laptop, creating Windows services, setting up host and domain in Unix, connecting RAID, setting up day and night mode for display in bus, they call me, or in company they just call IT support.
From my perspective, its sad, but thats how it is. A good car driver does not need to know how car machine works, and good car technician does not need to know how to drive. Boilermaker on ship does not need to know how engine works, because its a job for another man on the ship. In companies everyone have their own tasks, and if you do something outside the contract, you are guilty. For example, if you are programming for the company, and there are some problem with LAN connection, or cable, do not dare to fix it, because its not your job and you are not paid to do it. Or if you are a truck driver, and your air conditioner broke, you can fix it to get it working, but later on, others can say that you broke it in the first place. Thats how things works today for some reason.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• no more Mr Potato Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2021 - 01:39 AM

My job title is Developer but I'm happy to call myself a programmer. Saying Developer one tends to get blamed for more things ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2021 - 06:34 AM

Is it really programming if it's not from the programming region of France?
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2021 - 06:55 AM

View PostSkydiver, on 27 June 2021 - 05:07 PM, said:

Pop quiz: A real programmer will use bubble sort on a million item list without a second thought. True or false?

All my homies use bogo sort.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2021 - 06:55 AM

View Postandrewsw, on 28 June 2021 - 04:39 AM, said:

My job title is Developer but I'm happy to call myself a programmer. Saying Developer one tends to get blamed for more things ;)/>

Yeah, it's not like saying that you are a "Producer" in Hollywood where you suddenly get invited to all the cool parties. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2021 - 10:44 AM

View PostNeoTifa, on 28 June 2021 - 08:55 AM, said:

All my homies use bogo sort.

Why are your homies sorting their boogers?

EDIT:

Sorry, I misread that.

Why are your homies sorting their bongos?
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#12 CTphpnwb   User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2021 - 05:09 PM

It seems to me that if you're worried about whether or not you're a real programmer then the odds are in your favor. It's the person who thinks they know it all who probably has no clue.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1