Is an Associate Degree in Computer Science reasonable?

• (3 Pages)
  • +

32 Replies - 1382 Views - Last Post: 15 July 2021 - 07:43 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Is an Associate Degree in Computer Science reasonable?

Posted 12 July 2021 - 05:51 AM

Some of you guys if not most of you guys probably won't belive it, but I've held a job for 4 months so far at this point, but I still want more out of life. I've been looking into associate degrees in my area and one school offers an associate in CS. I wanted to ask is getting an cs associates a good roommate in terms of getting an entry level job?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is an Associate Degree in Computer Science reasonable?

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is an Associate Degree in Computer Science reasonable?

Posted 12 July 2021 - 06:21 AM

Some of you guys if not most of you guys probably won't belive it, but I've held a job for 4 months so far at this point

Why wouldn't folk believe it?

is getting an cs associates a good roommate

If you are new in the field or find local jobs require a degree of some sorts, then yes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2021 - 06:26 AM

View PostConnor2kwik, on 12 July 2021 - 07:51 AM, said:

I wanted to ask is getting an cs associates a good roommate in terms of getting an entry level job?

roommate?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2021 - 07:46 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 12 July 2021 - 06:26 AM, said:

View PostConnor2kwik, on 12 July 2021 - 07:51 AM, said:

I wanted to ask is getting an cs associates a good roommate in terms of getting an entry level job?

roommate?

I hate auto text. I meant to say is it a good ROI in other words is it a good return of investment
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2021 - 08:23 AM

First off, congratulations on landing & maintaining a job in the field.

The question & direction, I feel, are both way too vague. What I would instead do, is ask what direction do you want to go? A better position where you work, or work with another employer?

If where you work, then I would check with your manager, &/or the department you are looking to promote to. What are the job requirements? You may find that 2 years of work experience is the same as the degree.

If the desired advancement is with another employer, I would reach out to the ad. Find out what the requirements are.

Blindly getting a degree because it _could_ or _might_ help, is a pretty expensive (both time & money) next move. Instead of guessing, find out the job requirements & qualifications are.

Best of luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2021 - 08:33 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 12 July 2021 - 06:21 AM, said:

Some of you guys if not most of you guys probably won't belive it, but I've held a job for 4 months so far at this point

Why wouldn't folk believe it?

because last i check you guys been the same ones saying i wouldn't get a job cause of my "attitude"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2021 - 08:36 AM

Ah, now re-reading those old posts. People told you that you should be able to get a job, but only said if you are going to shut down any advice and not start because of perceived issues then yeah.. you won't get a job. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2021 - 08:57 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 12 July 2021 - 08:23 AM, said:

The question & direction, I feel, are both way too vague. What I would instead do, is ask what direction do you want to go? A better position where you work, or work with another employer?

If where you work, then I would check with your manager, &/or the department you are looking to promote to. What are the job requirements? You may find that 2 years of work experience is the same as the degree.

If the desired advancement is with another employer, I would reach out to the ad. Find out what the requirements are.

Blindly getting a degree because it _could_ or _might_ help, is a pretty expensive (both time & money) next move. Instead of guessing, find out the job requirements & qualifications are.

Best of luck.

To be honest it's not a job in the programming field. Just a regular 9-5 general labor job. Nonetheless I still want to be a programmer and was just generally asking would a associates in cs would be enough to get my foot in the door while I work on my bachelors.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2021 - 09:10 AM

would a associates in cs would be enough to get my foot in the door while I work on my bachelors.

Typically it's an either/or. Get an associates and run with that, or work on a bachelors and go with that. Certifications may work like that, but associate degrees are not certs.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2021 - 10:02 AM

View PostConnor2kwik, on 12 July 2021 - 11:57 AM, said:

View Postno2pencil, on 12 July 2021 - 08:23 AM, said:

Best of luck.

To be honest it's not a job in the programming field. Just a regular 9-5 general labor job. Nonetheless I still want to be a programmer and was just generally asking would a associates in cs would be enough to get my foot in the door while I work on my bachelors.

The best thing you can do is be qualified for the job. I don't think additional debt & added workload is currently the way to go. I would focus on the programming aspect first. That said, if you need to go to college to get the education, then that's why you should be going. Not to get a degree.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2021 - 10:21 AM

View PostConnor2kwik, on 12 July 2021 - 09:46 AM, said:

I hate auto text. I meant to say is it a good ROI in other words is it a good return of investment

These days, degrees are much less important in getting hired than they were a few years ago. Completing a degree in a good program will give you a solid background in the concepts of computation, which will help you greatly if you want to get past entry-level work, and it'll give employers concrete evidence of your baseline competence, so that's good. However, it's not essential these days. A bootcamp program can get you hired on a much faster turnaround, and they can give you a good level of what you might call "street-fighting engineering" - in other words, you'll have a lot of stuff that works, but maybe not the deep theoretical underpinnings.

If you just want to get working at an entry-level position, the latter might be your best bang-for-buck option. If you are interested in advancing beyond that and have the time and resources, then an associates degree or even a bachelors degree might be a better long-haul option.

It's also possible to do a degree while you're working. Usually this is a slower process, but many employers will make reasonable accommodations if you want to pursue this option.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2021 - 08:34 AM

I know this may sound awkward, but I wanted to ask now that I have some work experience now would my arrest still come into play despite the fact i wasn't convicted and it was expunged?

This post has been edited by Skydiver: 14 July 2021 - 11:45 AM
Reason for edit:: Removed unnecessary quote. No need to quote the post above yours.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2021 - 08:40 AM

Is your experience relevant to the field you are trying to get in?

Over all I suggest reviewing your July 2020 thread.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2021 - 09:08 AM

its not so in other words it's still impossible?

This post has been edited by Skydiver: 14 July 2021 - 11:45 AM
Reason for edit:: Removed unnecessary quote. No need to quote the post above yours.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2021 - 09:12 AM

If you reread the previous thread, then you should recognize that is _NOT_ what is being said.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +