7 Replies - 1033 Views - Last Post: 30 July 2021 - 12:26 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Which new printer to use at the office?

Post icon  Posted 21 July 2021 - 03:06 AM

Hello, at the office we have an HP Pagewide Pro 477DW which made us happy, but now 3 printheads have been damaged trying to remove a stuck sheet. To fix the printheads the cost is higher than a new printer.
We are now looking for a laser one (LED possibly) to have a good printing speed.
The functions required are:
- reliability
- print (color and front/back)
- scan (possibly front/back)
- copy
- WiFi connection

The printing volume is about 300/400 pages per month.

I thought to buy a Brother MFCL3770CDW, but reading around many people complain about the drum and belt durability.
The budget is up to 500$.

Do you have anything to suggest?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Which new printer to use at the office?

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Which new printer to use at the office?

Posted 21 July 2021 - 08:17 AM

Printers were never my strong suit. I can only say that 300/400 pages per month is incredibly low volume.

Interested to hear what you end up getting.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2021 - 08:49 AM

Brother itself declares that printer to be fine to be used within the range 300/2500 pages per month.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2021 - 06:36 PM

When my mom used to be an office manager, she swore by the Brother printers and copiers in her office. All the other brands would have all kinds of problems, but their Brothers would just keep on running. That's anecdotal information from over 20 years ago, though, so please treat it with a huge grain of salt.

On the software side, when I was working for the Windows Printer Drivers team -- no, none of the code I committed for the print spooler has been found to be vulnerable even after all these years --, I found that the Epson printers seemed to have the least printer driver issues. Again, anecdotal data from about 10 years information, though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 CTphpnwb   User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2021 - 01:51 PM

Printing is wasteful and expensive, so if you're down to 300/400 pages per month, I'd look at this as an opportunity to get it to 0. Are people actually using those printed pages for anything? Can you use pdf files instead?
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2021 - 02:44 PM

Acrobat Pro license is $15/month per user. Assuming an annual discount let's make that $150/year per user. Assuming 10 people in an office who need to be able to edit PDFs: $1500/year. As I recall this can't be written off in taxes.

A good color laser printer is now at about $700-$1500 which can be written off the taxes. I don't know the cost of the paper plus toner per year though.

Would it approach or exceed the $1500/year, but everyone in the office can use it versus just 10 people in the office can use it?

Yes, more than 10 people in the office can print to PDF at no cost. The reason the 10 people matter is because often it's not just a matter of printing, but a matter of printing, filling out a form, signing the form, and then sending it back.

Although most of the states in the US supposedly have made digitally signed documents acceptable as legal documents, there is very little uniformity on what is acceptable and considered as digitally signed. In the end the simplicity of being able to print, sign, and send back ends up winning.

When I was filing my FMLA paperwork, neither my company nor my doctors would accept digitally signed documents. I still had to print out the forms, fill them out and sign them and fax back the signed paperwork.

When we were buying our house, all the negotiations, titles, and loan paperwork, etc was done electronically with digital signatures. Yet at closing we (and the notary public, the sellers, and the bank official, and the courts) still had to sign all the paperwork with wet ink, and real paper, and the papers embossed with the seal of the court. These weee the same papers that we had digitally signed. WTF!?!?!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2021 - 04:40 AM

we have an hp at home that can print around 8pgpm
color
scanner
fax
ect

cost about 250

hp 6968
https://www.amazon.c...27645188&sr=8-5
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 CTphpnwb   User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2021 - 12:26 PM

View PostSkydiver, on 29 July 2021 - 04:44 PM, said:

When we were buying our house, all the negotiations, titles, and loan paperwork, etc was done electronically with digital signatures. Yet at closing we (and the notary public, the sellers, and the bank official, and the courts) still had to sign all the paperwork with wet ink, and real paper, and the papers embossed with the seal of the court. These weee the same papers that we had digitally signed. WTF!?!?!

I think this is more a cultural thing than a legal issue. That's why I suggested using pdf, which by the way, Macs can print directly to out of the box, and Preview can edit, so no cost there.The more people we get using pdf the sooner the courts will adapt, although that date is certainly well into the future. :(
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1