13 Replies - 1241 Views - Last Post: 02 October 2021 - 09:27 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Which programming language is good for the future?

Posted 01 October 2021 - 11:26 PM

Hello,
I just have a little knowledge in the C\C++ and assembly languages and I want to learn a new programming language for the future. I prepared a list of the programming languages and I'm thankful if everyone share experiences and opinions:

1- C\C++
2- Rust-Lang
3- Ruby-Lang
4- Scala-Lang
5- OCaml
6- Elixir-Lang

Please feel free to share your opinions and if you have any suggestion, please tell it.

Thank you.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Which programming language is good for the future?

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Which programming language is good for the future?

Posted 02 October 2021 - 01:05 AM

You have a little knowledge about C & C++ & Assembly and you want to switch to another language without completing any. Focus on a single language first, and then you would add other languages to your skillset. Speaking of which, you should never try to over-expand the number of programming languages you know. It is not something to brag about that much. It depends on what sorta programs you are aiming to build. I highly recommend that you not learn multiple frameworks/languages that do the same thing such as trying to learn both DirectX and OpenGL(it is, rather, all about Vulkan, Metal, DirectX 12 these days), both Java and C#, both SFML and SDL. Of course, you might come across situations that require the otherwise like a boss asking you to write the code in the alternative version of the language you know better or you having to cater to the needs of multiple operating systems or different hardwares accepting different API's or frameworks. Most of it is truly relative. Depends on what you wanna accomplish..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 cfoley   User is online

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2021 - 01:22 AM

I usually have 2 reasons to learn a language: to complete a specific job or to find a different way of thinking about programming.

For the first, the job usually dictates the language. For example, if you want to write Android apps, you will probably want Java, Kotlin or maybe C# with Xamarin.

For the second, I recommend starting with the book 'Seven Languages in Seven Weeks'.
https://www.goodread...-in-seven-weeks

It will introduce you to 7 languages, specifically chosen to highlight different programming models.

In the books own words: 'Buy this book if you are a competent programmer wanting to grow.'

Maybe try the book when you would describe yourself competent but don't wait until you are an expert. :)

This post has been edited by cfoley: 02 October 2021 - 01:23 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2021 - 01:37 AM

As it was expressed, ultimately it comes down to what you want to do with the language.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2021 - 02:10 AM

View PostCoderOnBlacklist, on 02 October 2021 - 01:05 AM, said:

You have a little knowledge about C & C++ & Assembly and you want to switch to another language without completing any. Focus on a single language first, and then you would add other languages to your skillset. Speaking of which, you should never try to over-expand the number of programming languages you know. It is not something to brag about that much. It depends on what sorta programs you are aiming to build. I highly recommend that you not learn multiple frameworks/languages that do the same thing such as trying to learn both DirectX and OpenGL(it is, rather, all about Vulkan, Metal, DirectX 12 these days), both Java and C#, both SFML and SDL. Of course, you might come across situations that require the otherwise like a boss asking you to write the code in the alternative version of the language you know better or you having to cater to the needs of multiple operating systems or different hardwares accepting different API's or frameworks. Most of it is truly relative. Depends on what you wanna accomplish..

Thank you so much for your opinion and useful information. Something that was very interesting to me: "Speaking of which, you should never try to over-expand the number of programming languages you know. It is not something to brag about that much."
I very like to learn and manipulate something like Linux or other operating systems kernels or Hypervisors. I know most of them written in the C programming language, but the creator of the Linux kernel spoke about the Rust-Lang ==> https://www.zdnet.co...fit-into-linux/
I think that if I learn the C programming language well, then Linux Kernel or other operating systems and Hypervisors no need C and I wasted my time!
I have other questions:
1- Is it possible a big project like the Linux kernel rewritten in Rust-Lang?
2- Consider that I do not know any programming language, then I can't start Rust-Lang or other programming languages?
3- Is Rust-Lang a replacement for C\C++ really?

Thank you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2021 - 02:15 AM

View Postcfoley, on 02 October 2021 - 01:22 AM, said:

I usually have 2 reasons to learn a language: to complete a specific job or to find a different way of thinking about programming.

For the first, the job usually dictates the language. For example, if you want to write Android apps, you will probably want Java, Kotlin or maybe C# with Xamarin.

For the second, I recommend starting with the book 'Seven Languages in Seven Weeks'.
https://www.goodread...-in-seven-weeks

It will introduce you to 7 languages, specifically chosen to highlight different programming models.

In the books own words: 'Buy this book if you are a competent programmer wanting to grow.'

Maybe try the book when you would describe yourself competent but don't wait until you are an expert. :)/>

Thank you so much.
I want to find a job and develop some projects.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 ndc85430   User is online

• I think you'll find it's "Dr"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2021 - 03:37 AM

Rust is being allowed into the kernel, at least for drivers. There are talks about it on YouTube and posts on the various kernel mailing lists (at least on the main linux-kernel list IIRC).

Generally, learn languages that are different to what you've done before. You'll learn a different set of tools to solve problems that way. Scott Wlaschin has a good talk titled "Four Languages From Forty Years Ago" that talks about a bunch of different ideas.

This post has been edited by ndc85430: 02 October 2021 - 03:41 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 jon.kiparsky   User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2021 - 05:17 AM

View PostHack3rcon, on 02 October 2021 - 04:10 AM, said:

I think that if I learn the C programming language well, then Linux Kernel or other operating systems and Hypervisors no need C and I wasted my time!

Is creating a new operating system really a goal of yours? If so, you're going to want to understand the existing ones pretty deeply, so you can understand what's already been tried, which will require reading a lot of code - much of which is written in C.

1- Is it possible a big project like the Linux kernel rewritten in Rust-Lang?
2- Consider that I do not know any programming language, then I can't start Rust-Lang or other programming languages?
3- Is Rust-Lang a replacement for C\C++ really?

You may be overthinking this. It sounds like you really want to learn rust. So, learn rust.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• void main'ers are DOOMED
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2021 - 05:39 AM

OP is a serial Rust troll who's been dithering over whether to learn X or Y for the past 2 years.

Shows up about once a year to wave the flag, then disappears.
https://www.dreaminc...-and-rust-lang/
https://www.dreaminc...-or-scala-lang/

> I want to learn a new programming language for the future.
Start by learning how to program then.
'How' is the only really portable skill that will last a lifetime.

It's like learning how to drive. Once you've done it, whether you choose sports car, people carrier or big-rig depends on the kind of problem you're trying to solve. But you're doing none of those things if you haven't mastered the core competence first.

Same with programming.
The language choice(s) are the tools to do the job, they are not an end in themselves.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2021 - 05:43 AM

Thank you all.
What is bad with the Rust-Lang?
Which programming language will have more demand in the future? Please share your opinions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2021 - 07:27 AM

@Salem_c - thanks for the 411. I should have hit up the past history!

View PostHack3rcon, on 02 October 2021 - 07:43 AM, said:

[...]
Which programming language will have more demand in the future? Please share your opinions.

If you want to be employed look at what your local market has and angle that way.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2021 - 07:42 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 02 October 2021 - 07:27 AM, said:

@Salem_c - thanks for the 411. I should have hit up the past history!

[...]

If you want to be employed look at what your local market has and angle that way.

Thank you.
I meant to be remote jobs. C has any demand?
How can I see the programming languages demands?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2021 - 07:58 AM

View PostHack3rcon, on 02 October 2021 - 10:42 AM, said:

How can I see the programming languages demands?

Try here...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#14 jon.kiparsky   User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2021 - 09:27 AM

Which programming language will have more demand in the future?

The future? YAGNI. Look at what you want to get done now, and what you can actually take on right now, and start working on that. You will learn many languages in a career, but you won't have a career until you pick a language and learn it, and start using it to solve problems that other people want solved.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1