5 Replies - 1452 Views - Last Post: 18 February 2008 - 02:31 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Please review my site - thefilegarage.com

Post icon  Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:25 AM

Hello guys!

I recently launched my second web project, www.thefilegarage.com, about half a month ago, in february the 1st.

When i first launched this website, it was a file host, letting users upload zip files, music files images, and more. However, after analyzing user reviews, and other bandwidth issues, i downgraded it to a simple image host, with available direct linking.

This website was my first asp.net project, wich was built with visual web developper 2005 express edition, and uses the mysql database for storing images. I also think its one of the only image host that uses asp.net 2.0, so hopefully ill get some support from microsoft :D

Ive been working on it for over 4 months, so im curious to see how it'll do.

<b> questions </b>

From a general point of view, how much would you guys rate this website out of 10?
How does the website look? Could the design be improved?

How well do you guys think this website will do against my competitors, such as photobucket.com, imagecabin.com, etc?

How could I promote the website? is it worth signing up with google adwords?

Would you guys use the website?

Also, the website has been on for over 2 weeks now, and ive only managed to get like 5 unique uploads, so any other marketing tips will be useful.

THanK YoU!

http://www.thefilegarage.com

This post has been edited by hervens: 18 February 2008 - 10:26 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Please review my site - thefilegarage.com

• Student of Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Please review my site - thefilegarage.com

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:03 PM

Moved to Site Check.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:28 PM

thx Jayman

And if you guys need c# functions, such as uploading images to database functions, or datalist paging functions, let me know.

I got a couple that im willing to donate for free
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:57 PM

View Posthervens, on 18 Feb, 2008 - 11:28 AM, said:

And if you guys need c# functions, such as uploading images to database functions, or datalist paging functions, let me know.

I got a couple that im willing to donate for free

All snippets & tutorials on Dream.In.Code are donated free
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:34 PM

quick stuff :

1) it looks simple, but maybe not simple enough. i go to imageshack , i browse my pc for the file and click upload. now its not much more to type in description or title but maybe i'm not sure i see the utility of it. if most of the time the picture will be linked to your site from another site none of that information becomes important. maybe leave the ability there but make it abundantly clear it is not necessary. so important maybe you put the browse function, then the upload button, then an 'if you want to .... ' title & description part.

2)design : 2/10. the site needs a redesign. just my opinion, your competition is very professional, you have to match them or do something entirely different.

okay, done with my critique.

with a site like this your main objective is just to make sure that the user's first experience with you is pleasant, so i wouldn't launch it until its complete.

both the great thing about this type of site and also a major barrier to entry for you is that your userbase will be almost entirely repeat users.

i don't look around when i want to upload an image, i go to imageshack because they are easy, fast and have never let me down in the past.

so your problem is attracting users that already have that problem solved, adwords is a good place to start because the people searching for an image upload site don't have one in their head already. buy yourself some visits.

then you just have to make sure your site works for those that come to it and you can build yourself a base user set.

its not gonna get hits just sitting on the web. at first probably just becomes a drop point for your friends, then their friends, then it starts to get some recognition in search engines... then you build up the base.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2008 - 02:31 PM

Thanks a lot for your reply capty99

And also, the users dont have to enter in a file name and description. Even if they just browse the file and click upload, The file will upload just fine.

So i guess my big problem right now is getting the "base users"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1