6 Replies - 1740 Views - Last Post: 13 November 2008 - 02:25 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Starting on web game

Posted 23 May 2008 - 02:44 PM

Hey everyone,

I am new to PHP and game programming for that matter but I have taken a few steps towards starting this thing up. Now I want to create a Travian type MMO strategy game so I have gone ahead and registered for a free host at freehostia.com. I created a MySQL database and now I am at a loss as for where to go next. My main problem is that I don't know where to go to upload the PHP files that I will eventually create, is that done through the MySQL or the freehostia file manager? Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Starting on web game

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Starting on web game

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:46 AM

You can do it through the file manager or through an FTP (file transfer protocol) client.

Also, you're going to want to look into paid hosting. If this does take off, you'll use all your bandwidth right away and free hosting won't cut it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monkey in Training
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2008 - 12:26 PM

And, I'll tack on.... FreeHostia's webhosting plans for paid hosting aren't that great. That's a lot of the motivation behind free hosting plans.... give out a bit of resources free, and hopefully they'll sign up for a paid hosting account. The offered BW / Storage is actually only about 6-8% of what you can get at say DreamHost, which is the same price.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:35 AM

free hosts won't do it...
not even payed hosts will do.

These type of games do make a lot of scheulded tasks, and You may only do things like that on a VPS, or for development You can set up a server on any home computer.
Off course beta-testing WILL require a VPS solution, but until then it is best to set up WAMP or LAMP on Your computer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2008 - 08:24 AM

That, 2457, is nonsense.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 November 2008 - 02:01 PM

plase contact me, im also developing a travian clone.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 November 2008 - 02:25 PM

GoDaddy has good and well priced hosting plans. I've went through them before. As for creating a web based game using .php and MySQL, I've been there before and know quite a bit about the programming and dba concepts involved. Need any help just let me know.

If it may be any interest to you, there is also another approach to making a php-based game. You could use the GUI creator for php, GTK+ (just google it) and it may put a little twist on your plans.

this.Close(_Dizdain_);
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1