Are Quadro graphics cards really worth it?

Am considering getting one but not sure if it'll make any differen

Page 1 of 1

3 Replies - 2505 Views - Last Post: 16 July 2008 - 05:14 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Are Quadro graphics cards really worth it?

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:32 AM

Hi all, I'm fairly new to site and could do with little advice. I've been playing around with 3d Graphics for a while now. 3ds Max, Maya, Terragen and so on - did a little at uni which got me interested so I try to learn more while at home.

I recently did a file in Terragen which I decided to render as a minute long video 1024x720 px (30fps) with some cloud/camera movement and setting sun with shadows. It's currently on the 316th frame and at this rate it'll be about 2 weeks before it's finished rendering.

My setup uses an AMD Athlon 4000+ with 1gig of ram and a Geforce 7300se Graphics card - it's not great but is mostly used for uni work and programming, but as I'd rather not wait my entire life to create a few videos I'm considering an upgrade. So I could someone please advise on the following...

I know high-end quadro cards can be good but what about the cheaper models such as the Quadro FX 570? Is there any point or should i just stick with current setup?

Do they make a difference with all 3d applications or are they only made to work with the more well known apps such as Poser and 3ds Max?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Are Quadro graphics cards really worth it?

• Bassface
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Are Quadro graphics cards really worth it?

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:50 PM

Sorry im no good at hardware tbh.

But hey! A fellow Brit! :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2008 - 04:11 AM

Oh yes - tis good to see solidarity in the people of blighty.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2008 - 05:14 AM

I dont know much about "Buisness" graphics cards. I know alot about "Gaming" graphics cards though.... (Im a heavy overclocker gamer :P).

Id recommend trolling the internet finding reviews, and look most specficly for Price Per Performance graphs and such. As you seem to just want to make it faster, but not spend alot.

If your going to go for a new computer in the end, i highly recommend a quad core, over a faster dual core. For video processing(and compiling to :)) a quad completly destroys quad cores and single cores out of the water! So much faster.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1