3 Replies - 941 Views - Last Post: 03 July 2008 - 08:37 AM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Certification

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:13 AM

The boss has given mehis backing to investigate getting my grubby little mits on some support related certification, at the moment it looks like the 2 best options are either the CompTIA A+ or MCDST. I'm wondering whether anyone here holds either of these certifications or has an opinion on which is the better option?

I've also gotta come up with the pros and cons for both myself and the company, the ones for me are easy, for the company I keep running into difficulties (this is so we can sell it to him who signs the cheques).

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Certification

• Jawsome++;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Certification

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:01 AM

The A+ certification is one of the standard basic competence of computers certifications. More certs always look good on a resume, and if you're getting them done for free bonus. I got most of my certs through work as well, I figure if your work is offering it for free you have nothing to lose and might as well take advantage of it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:56 AM

thanks for the reply captain, thats my thinking on it really. Obviously best case scenario is managing to convince them to fund me through A+, MCDST and anything else I can come up with!

Only difficulty I see in that is I am the only support tech the company has, the rest of the teams made up of a full time dev (my boss, training me as backup for when hes not around) and a part time, self taught, ended up in IT by accident IT admin (she was until I joined the only member of IT staff the company had). Hence the worry that they may realise that a major reason that I want to get certified is so I can bugger off elsewhere :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:37 AM

After much thought and investigation I've made my case to the boss, pitching for A+ hopefully followed by Network+ and possibly an MCSA!

We shall see what happens!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1