4 Replies - 2620 Views - Last Post: 01 August 2008 - 09:08 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

upload phpbb forum

Post icon  Posted 27 July 2008 - 11:17 AM

I have registered a domain and have webspace with 1&1 web hosts and Im trying to get my forum online. I unzipped the phpbb folder and uploaded it to the root folder on my server. There is also a folder named 'logs' in the root folder. What step do I take to get my forum online as I'm only getting an Error 403 message at the moment. I know roughly that I need to open an installation file and possibly make a MySQL database but I realy have no idea what to do next, I think the server already has the MySQL stuff taken care off but can somebody tell me exactly what to do if its not too much - thanks :crazy:

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: upload phpbb forum

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: upload phpbb forum

Posted 27 July 2008 - 03:50 PM

A 403 error means there is some sort of permissions issue. Are you trying to load the folder, or did you specify a file in your web browser? If you are only trying to go to a folder (ends in /), & you are getting the 403 error, you probably have directory browsing turned off on the server. So try loading a file. If that still does not work, then check the permissions on the directories, & the files in the directory. Make sure they can be accessed by the webserver process.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:55 PM

FTP your forum to the server. Place it in the right directory. Call the hosting company up and have them install for you. If they wont, find one that will. problem solved=)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:03 PM

It is too bad you didn't look into your hosts a bit more. I know that there are some out there that offer full installation of phpbb forums and everything for free with no need to call them up or anything (it is all online, you click a few buttons and it is done). You may want to look and see wht phpbb says to do to install the forums, or if they have a README file, both are useful.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2008 - 09:08 PM

There are only a few million installation guides on how to install phpBB. It's not very hard really.

1. Upload files.
2. Set permissions (if applicable) to things like the /files/ upload folder, and configuration files.
3. Make SQL database. This should be somewhere in your hosting control panel. If not, call hosting company, and/or get a database hosted elsewhere.
4. Run install. Usually its /phpBB_directory/install/index.php
The install will ask you for all the settings. You will need to specify the database settings (database name, username, password, host [usually 'localhost']) and it will compile all of that together.
5. So if the install was not able to write the new configuration, you will be given the option to download it, and manually upload it.

I've installed phpBB so many times, I could do it with my monitor off. :P

This post has been edited by Deomitrus: 01 August 2008 - 09:08 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1