Remote debugging issue with VS2005 on a WinCE 5.0 device

Breakpoints not registering as existing on executable code

Page 1 of 1

0 Replies - 2343 Views - Last Post: 05 November 2008 - 09:51 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Remote debugging issue with VS2005 on a WinCE 5.0 device

Posted 05 November 2008 - 09:51 AM

Allright, well I've spent the last two days trying to solve this problem, so I felt it was time to turn to the forums. I've googled everything thing I can about this problem, but the issue is so specific I'm not really finding anything. Here's a description of what I'm doing:

I'm building a C++ driver for an embedded device running WinCE 5.0 on ARMV4I architecture. I am using VS2005 pro with SP1. My driver uses multiple libraries including WS2.lib (winsock2) as well as an in house library and an open source toolkit. I have successfully built the project, and connected with the target device to deploy the executable. I can get the project to run remotely, and using the

OutputDebugString();

function, I'm able to get output from the app back to my VS output window.

Now I'd like to be able to set breakpoints and step through the code to effectively debug my app. The problem starts when I remotely deploy and execute the code on the device, with a breakpoint set somewhere in the code. As soon as the execution starts, the breakpoint goes in an error state, seen here:

Posted Image

Therefore, my the program just blasts through anywhere I have a breakpoint sitting. At first I thought this was a problem with my Visual Studio; something wrong with the remote debugger. I tested this, however, by building a very simple app targeted to the same device, with simple print statements. I am successfully able to build, deploy, run and debug using breakpoints in this app. That tells me its not a problem with VS, but either some sort of configuration issue with my project, or something involving all the linking I'm doing with other libraries.

I started comparing the project properties between my driver and my little test app, and soon realized I could not get the app to execute on the remote device when the /DEBUG option was set. Whenever I try to execute with /DEBUG, it builds and deploys just fine, but right before execution I get the oh-so-helpful error:

Posted Image

This error does not display when the /DEBUG option is off. Curiously enough though, my simple test project runs just fine with the /DEBUG option. Is this what needs to be specified in order to debug properly, using breakpoints? Why would this option cause the app to not execute on the device? I'm kind of at a loss for how to get this remote debugging underway, I've tried just about anything I could think of. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Edit: Well I've essentially narrowed down my current behavior to the /DEBUG option. In my test app, if I set the Generate Debug Info property to no, the code executes but I get the exact same breakpoint behavior as my driver project. So now the question really becomes, how do I get my driver to execute with the /DEBUG option? What is causing it to error before it executes?

This post has been edited by kdbolt70: 05 November 2008 - 09:58 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Page 1 of 1