4 Replies - 896 Views - Last Post: 10 December 2008 - 06:19 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

while running on Linux[on cdrom], and that this file may be in any win

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:50 AM

I may download a file/software (for Linux) from any OS , but install it while running on Linux[on cdrom], and that this file may be in any windows(hdd) directory mixed with windows software applications(folders) ? That is correct / This is uncorrect

permanently or temporary is Linux run (from cdrom) programs(not OS) that ARE GET RAN , are saved on HDD ?

May run and LAMP (PHP) from CDROM or only Linux ? running this has all run-linux advandages ?

Running Linux emulator http://www.cygwin.com/ the software to be ran NOT Linux where stored ? permanently or temporary ?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: while running on Linux[on cdrom], and that this file may be in any win

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: while running on Linux[on cdrom], and that this file may be in any win

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:32 PM

LiveCDs only run from RAM - They make no changes to your hard drive.

You can install software to it, and it will be saved to RAM like the rest of the system.

You *can* run a LAMP install from a LiveCD, but you'd have to install all the software packages, and if your system reboots, you'll have to install them all again and re setup everything. And everything you were hosting would be lost.

As for your question about Cygwin. I don't understand what you're asking.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:53 AM

I have a WIN XP SP3 notebook 32-bit PC well I plan Dual Boot with Linux (same PC). Now I have in my laptop two Partitions [XP]...May make a third partition and install Linux or, is needed to format again whole HDD and make two partitions ? The first is it difficult to get done ? If is done Linux can make use of everything in the PC apart from windows partition ?

If I want RUN LINUX from the CDROM ... any software run(not linux OS) must be installed on memory RAM, how I do this ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:54 PM

Is needed to DELETE first the one partition(contents) and after split(make third) or this is optional I may keep may data/software ?
What we mean by saying "defrag you're windows partitions first" ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:19 PM

I didn't say to defrag your Windows partition.

Most Linux install CDs can resize the Windows partitions to install Linux into the free space. Ubuntu and Fedora can, I know for certain. It is not necessary to delete your Windows partitions. As for Linux using all the hardware: Yes. As long as there's drivers. If your LiveCD is detecting and using all the hardware, then a hard drive install will too. And most, if not all, Linux distributions include software to read/write NTFS (Windows 2000/XP/Vista) partitions. FAT32 (Windows 95/98/ME, and USB sticks and memory cards) is a well-supported filesystem, and every Linux distribution will let you read/write to these partitions.

When you first boot a LiveCD, it sets up a virtual filesystem that is contained entirely in RAM. When you install new software on the LiveCD, it is technically being installed to RAM. RAM, being non-persistant by its' very nature (it doesn't remember anything when you turn off the computer), anything you put here will be deleted when you reboot. This goes for the LAMP stack, and anything you were serving from that LAMP stack.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1