0 Replies - 774 Views - Last Post: 12 December 2008 - 10:03 PM

• Lord of Schwing
  • member icon

• View blog

Locally run vs web hosted app

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:03 PM

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this but here goes.

I've got this side project where I've made a skeleton of an app for demo purposes. The app is used to facilitate the ordering of specific items(basically a graphic representation of whatever the item and where it fits in, in the product as a whole) cause currently theres lots of issues with incorrect parts being ordered and blah blah blah

I know next to nothing about serious coding. I know a bit of java from my I.T degree(during which i caught up on a lot of much needed sleep) some Access and VBA from the year I spent working at a tiny company that had a product created entirely in VBA and Access, and have the basics of VB.net which I taught myself. The app is currently done in VB.net and connects to a SQL DB which i had intended to store locally(basically cause it was easy). But i was thinking today that, if each site has their own copy of a DB there could still be a lot of inconsistencies between sites and maybe it would be better to put it one a web server and have each site connect to on central db.

I'm kinda just looking for opinions here. Would it be a good idea to get it hosted or better to leave it local? if i put it on a server what would be entailed(not against learning an entirely new language from scratch and taking awhile to get it done properly).

Any advice or anything welcome

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Page 1 of 1