4 Replies - 1506 Views - Last Post: 30 December 2008 - 05:58 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

What would you all recommend?

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:22 PM

As I said in my introduction post, I am a newb to programming. I have written some very basic .bat files (password protected and menu's). And I have just installed VB 6.5 as it is part of the Office 2007 Excel. So basically what would you recommend as a nice easy simple project to get me started? :)

Thanks.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What would you all recommend?

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What would you all recommend?

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:52 PM

No one?
:(
(sorry for the double post)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:06 PM

Are you programming for hobby or profession?

If you are just getting started & don't have any ideas for a starter program, then maybe your heart isn't in this. Don't you have any drive or desire for something you would like to do?

It's like going to the store & buying a DVD player, then asking the clerk which movie he would like to watch.

You could maybe pick up some freelance work on rentacoder.com or similar sites.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• sudo apt-get install brain
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:06 PM

This may help:
http://www.dreaminco...wtopic70915.htm
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:58 PM

One of the last languages I'd recommend using is VBA. Scripting in Office is like programming in the dark with snakes at your feet waiting to trip and bite you.

The Microsoft Express languages are quite good. They're free and are basically scaled down versions of the development tools professional Windows programmers use. (Visual Studio)

I would recommend C# over VB for a few reasons. There are a number of more advanced tricks that are simply easier to pull off in C# than VB. C# uses a variation of C syntax, which is a great grandad to many, many languages and understanding it early is helpful. If you understand C# well, you almost get Java for free. VB syntax is hideous.

A VB fan will, of course, disagree.

I'd actually love to be able to recommend PowerShell for Windows enthusiasts. If you've done work in batch files, it's batch files on speed. Unfortunately, I'm not currently happy with the amount of documentation MS has offered. Though it now ships with Win2008 server and will probably be bundled with the next Windows, if they keep up support. It puts VBScript, WSH, and all the rest to shame.

If you're not stuck on MS, Java is a good choice for a new programmer. Python is also good, if the C syntax is getting you down.

My main recommendation would be to go for languages that are well represented on the Internet. Free code, examples, and documentation are invaluable. Forums that are chock full of the same questions you're asking are just as good. After that, choose something that doesn't punish you for mistakes that are easily made (C and C++, I'm looking at you). Then, find stuff to do with those languages. Look around this site, see what others are doing, try to do them too and see how far you get.

Good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1