Drowning in information, starving for knowledge

Can modern devices safely overthrow computers?

Page 1 of 1

1 Replies - 1036 Views - Last Post: 30 December 2008 - 09:20 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Drowning in information, starving for knowledge

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:36 AM

I know very well this is a programming forum and most of us here do programming but the rest use these idiot boxes for chatting, browsing the net, listening to music, playing around with graphic design, etc.

What do you use your computer for? The above mentioned uses can be safely overcome by cell phones, iPods etc with the exception of the last, and getting information.

Cancel out my last two words, when any teacher wants us to get information, CTRL + C and CTRL + V and CTRL + P are the shortcuts, we don't bother to read what is written. If you do programming, then what type of programs do you design?Are they intended to serve the computer only? Those programs can be antivirus, etc. How do these computers serve us? Should these be in homes? When I had none, my life was going on but since the last seven years, I have developed nothing but a lust for time killing here.

Should homes have computers?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Drowning in information, starving for knowledge

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Drowning in information, starving for knowledge

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:20 AM

My best friend is getting ready to deploy to Iraq, without the internet and Skype, there is no cost effective way to communicate other than writing a letter. I may be slightly biased in that I've been working with computers most of my life so I feel a little more than slightly attached to it.

I wouldn't make wide sweeping statements about everyone just copying and pasting, it doesn't quite work when you have intelligent teachers/professors who actually give a damn about your education.

Professionally, I build business level applications designed mostly around our financials package though I am working on a Fleet Management system right now to handle the Highway Dept, EMS and a few other smaller entities.

Should homes have computers? Yes, I think so but balance is key.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1