6 Replies - 609 Views - Last Post: 25 January 2009 - 12:40 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

I suppose a little intro can't hurt

Posted 25 January 2009 - 08:30 AM

Naturally, I was lying about the 'little' part:

Name: Chris
Age: Young enough to spend time posting long introductions on forums.
Sex: Male
Education: Miserable.
Programming Languages: Regularly, only C#. I also delve into PHP and MySQL a bit. Used to know VB6 & VB.NET, have since forgotten about them, for the better. Looking to possibly learn Java as a step towards C++.
Years Programming/Designing: 6, possibly 7. Every last minute has been hobbyist work - no education or work experience with programming whatsoever.
Hobbies/Interests: Gaming, programming (Not programming games, however), listening to music, reading web comics.
Favorite Bands: Guns N' Roses, Disturbed, Nightwish, Lordi, Rammstein, and so forth.
Favorite Sport: Is that a joke? Sport?
Favorite Video Game: Tough one. Deus Ex, Bioshock, Fallout 3, Half-Life 1/2, Diablo II, Warcraft 3 and Starcraft are all contenders.
Favorite Quote:

A girl phoned me the other day and said "Come on over, there's nobody home." I went over. Nobody was home.
- Rodney Dangerfield

If I Could Have One Superhuman Ability, It Would Be: The ability to think hypothetically. Hmm, wait a minute..

And for a more friendly intro, I'm studying Maths, Economics and Physics, and hope to take a CS or SE course at university when the time comes, and then to later a job in the industry. Unfortunately, I have little idea of anything more specific than that.. though I seem to like dealing with files and displaying data visually.

On a side note, is there anywhere I can get some criticism on my applications/code - I could do with a little guidance, seeing as I've had no education in programming, nor any work experience; as mentioned.

Of course, you didn't read any of my post, so the generic "Hi" will be fine, thanks ;)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: I suppose a little intro can't hurt

• human.setType("geek");
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: I suppose a little intro can't hurt

Posted 25 January 2009 - 09:06 AM

hello Chris, welcome to </Dream.In.Code>! we are happy to have you as a member here, and yes.. i did read all of your post and it is great :) , i like warcraft and starcraft very much, and i am a fan too... i am too a hobbyist programmer for now but hopefully a professional one for the future, as for your favorite quote, its very funny i liked it :) , it seems that you want to learn JAVA, pay us a visit at the JAVA section and we will be more than happy to help you in your JAVA questions and problems and help you solve them, good luck in your programming, see you around ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2009 - 09:45 AM

Plenty of Brits, but DIC is international, and that, I think, is a good thing. Welcome! Hope you'll enjoy it here!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:47 AM

Hello and welcome to Dream in Code!

I am BetaWar, one of the local moderators. C++ is a great language from what I have used so far, I would love to learn more of it, but highschool does tend to get in the way of the dreams of students... At this point I reqularly program in AS3, Javascript, Java, C++ (more or less), and, well that is it. I also know PHP 4, AS2, some python and very little VB.

Dream in Code has a ton of people who will be glad to help when you get stuck, or just need to have some guidance on how to accomplish a task in a program.

Diablo, Warcraft and Starcraft are all great games, I believe I own all of them too (lol), at this point Diablo III looks sweet (though I am a little worried about the direction Blizz is taking it in) and Starcraft II just looks awesome.

Again, welcome. I hope you enjoy your stay,
BetaWar
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include <greeter>
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2009 - 11:04 AM

Very nice introduction, welcome Chris! Yes, Guns N' Roses are definitely a great band, they're new CD is pretty sweet. Hope you enjoy it here at DIC, and learn lots along the way. I'm also into Java and C languages so if you have any questions or just wanna chat, hit me up.

Once again, thanks for joining!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2009 - 12:25 PM

Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes.. welcomes here seem to be lengthier here than most other places, much to my appreciation. So once again, cheers ! Hopefully I won't spend too much time lurking around, which I admittedly do on quite a few forums forums these days. There's a quote I remember - not sure from where or by whom, but it seems to sum it up: "Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens".

View PostBetaWar, on 25 Jan, 2009 - 09:47 AM, said:

Diablo, Warcraft and Starcraft are all great games, I believe I own all of them too (lol), at this point Diablo III looks sweet (though I am a little worried about the direction Blizz is taking it in) and Starcraft II just looks awesome.
What are your worries? I know the art direction was hugely controversial after the early screenshots were released; I hated them too quite a bit. Then I realised.. if Diablo 1/2 graphics don't put me off the great gameplay, then all Diablo 3 really needs is decent gameplay, and I can live with whatever art style Blizzard choose (Within reason) :)

View PostOstralis, on 25 Jan, 2009 - 10:04 AM, said:

Very nice introduction, welcome Chris! Yes, Guns N' Roses are definitely a great band, they're new CD is pretty sweet.
Embarrassingly enough, that's actually their only album I own, and infact the only one I've ever heard. Amazon were giving away some free music over christmas, I listened to a couple of previews, and had my heart set on downloading the full album (Which fortunately, was covered by the giveaway). So I can't call myself a proper fan, but I certainly enjoy most the recent-ish tracks :^:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• lost in compilation
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2009 - 12:40 PM

Great introduction and I must agree with most of your music choices, but I have yet to like anything on the newest GnR album.

Welcome to </DIC>
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1