3 Replies - 2328 Views - Last Post: 28 January 2009 - 01:51 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

web server backups to local nas

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:48 PM

Hi all,

i have one more question to ask, ive just bought myself a nas with raid 5 which i am planning to use to backup my webserver, the nas is sitting on my network at home. how would i go about doing this as i have a dynamic ip address, for the outside world, how do i go about setting up my webserver to talk to my nas on the server, DMZ rings a bell but its been a long time since ive done anything like that and ive completely forgotten.

i know the nas supports ftp, and web access which i can setup on the nas itself, its a basic tiscali router that came with the internet package, im thinking of udpating this to a belkin n router but that will be the next stage of the setup.

if anybody out there might have an idea of how to do this, i realise i will need something along the rsync line for the server itself.

thanks

Dan

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: web server backups to local nas

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: web server backups to local nas

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:57 PM

You should be able to set up the NAS box to use a static IP.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:17 AM

DMZ is a bad idea because it leaves that box COMPLETELY exposed. What you should do is just forward port(s) (probably ftp 21 i believe) to that box. This configuration would need to be done inside the router. It will probably be under administration somewhere. Here an explanation of DMZ vs port forwarding:
http://www.homenethe...warding-dmz.asp
That page also links to a page with a list of the default ports for different protocols.

For the dynamic ip what you can do is signup for a free service like dyndns. You setup an account with a name like mynasbackup.dyndns.com and this address will point to your dynamic ip address at home. It does this by loading a small program on your desktop at home that automatically updates the ip address they have stored for you when it changes. This is the website that you can signup at and check out their free dynamic ip forwarding:
http://www.dyndns.co...ces/dns/dyndns/

Also I personally use comodo backup for my remote backups. Its very easy to setup and has backup based on modification of files if that appeals to you. It is free as well. It can be found at:
http://backup.comodo.com/

Feel free to thank me or give me kudos if you feel this post was useful!

This post has been edited by sl4ck3r: 28 January 2009 - 12:17 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:51 AM

Gogo me misunderstanding what the OP wanted. -_-
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +