9 Replies - 6511 Views - Last Post: 18 February 2009 - 04:40 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Embed a list of video files

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:54 AM

Visitors on my website can choose from a list of video's. When the click on a link the video is displayed on the next page. See http://www.bodhidhar...Media/Media.htm. Up 'till now for every link I created a new file, but that's not the way it should be. The only two things that are different in every htm file is video file and that the title (which contains spaces).
Today I spent several hours on searching for a solution to get rid of all the files and use just one file which uses parameter input to show the correct video file and the correct title.
My question: what is the best way of complishing this?

I can think of passing on the videofile name and the title to the second htm file, but then I don't how to pass on the video filename to the object and embed tags and there's a problem with the spaces in the title (only the first part of the title is passed on).

Then I thought of using an array, but this array should be created ones and should be available in both htm files. The array would contain the video filename and the title.

Maybe there's a better solution for this? Anyone a suggestion?

Regards,
Sander

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Embed a list of video files

• Tired.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Embed a list of video files

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:41 AM

Ok - yes. You need to be using a database. Lets say that you have a database called videos ok.

Entries would be -
Id
Name
Title
URL
Width
Height
background
etc. (Basically all the attributes of your embed tag)

Anyways, then you would create a list of links that look like this <a href="hereismyvideo.php?id=12345">Here is my video 12345</a>

Then you have the file 'hereismyvideo.php" grab that id and in the embed tag you query the information from the database.

If you need more in depth help - copy this post in the php section of the site. Hope that helps.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:04 AM

Hi just had a look at the videos in internet explorer and they are not playing properly they seem to be fragmented and the colors are wrong.. you might want check them in different browsers..
Kumite 4.wmv this is one of them...

it appears that you may need a different player or look at the plugin some problems

<embed type="application/x-mplayer2" pluginspage="http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=windows&sbp=mediaplayer&ar=media&sba=plugin"
	 filename="http://www.bodhidharma.nl/bdh/Ledensectie/Media/Kumite 4.wmv"

I recommend using flash (.flv) video as I find much more reliable and smaller video size...What you see is what you get...
then you could create a .xml file simply to show a list of your files and they could play on the same page...

This post has been edited by richiebee: 13 February 2009 - 09:05 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:32 AM

Hi,
Thanks both for your comments.

@richiebee: I checked the kumite 4 video om my pc, but it seems okay. The firt few seconds are display at normal speed and then that part is it repeated but slowed down. Were you looking at the second part, maybe?

@gregwhitworth: a database is a solution, but it isn't a bit of an overkill? In every second file, where the video is displayed, only the title and the filename of the video is different. I would agree that using a database would give more flexibility though. But the list of video's is only about 35 entries. It will never exceed 50
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Tired.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:47 AM

Ok - then yes I agree that this solution is a bit of an overkill. Look at this:
http://www.larrymoor...lio/index.shtml

I did this for a videography company - basically all of the files are listed on the page but hidden with css and shown with javascript through jquery. It would be an annoying solution, but a solution. The database is the BEST solution, but this could work and does look decent when finished.

--

Greg
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:06 PM

When I cliked on your link, Greg, all the video's are shown (as thumnails) and when I click on one I get an "error on page", using IE7. But the overview is a nice idea!

I'll rethink the db-solution. The website is to be converted to db-version, like e107. Then I can incorporate it easily.

This post has been edited by jester6581: 13 February 2009 - 12:10 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Tired.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:37 PM

Yeah I know,
after I sent that to you I went to take a look at it and it didn't work, someone must have gotten in there and screwed with it - I HATE IT WHEN THAT HAPPENS. Oh well. The idea is still there.

--

Greg
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:43 AM

Okay, got it working in javascript. Maybe later I will transform it to PHP.

I have issue though which will be listed in the javascript section with the same summary
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:20 AM

[quote name='jester6581' date='13 Feb, 2009 - 10:32 AM' post='542073']
Hi,
Thanks both for your comments.

@richiebee: I checked the kumite 4 video om my pc, but it seems okay. The firt few seconds are display at normal speed and then that part is it repeated but slowed down. Were you looking at the second part, maybe?

can you check the video on another machine?
it may be the windows player I have the latest..
p.s. it's the same on firefox and safari
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:40 AM

Hi Richiebee,

Checked it on another pc, but the videos are fine. Colors are fine.

My version of the windows media player is 11.0.6001.7000.

Regards,
Sander
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1