8 Replies - 981 Views - Last Post: 27 February 2009 - 08:05 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Site Feedback Please

Posted 25 February 2009 - 03:04 PM

My site is http://www.wheelingfire.com.

I just redesigned it with XHTML CSS for the layout. I used Dreamweaver CS3 for the initial layout of 2 columns, header and footer and modified some of the CSS by hand. I created all the graphics from scratch in Photoshop CS3.

I checked it in FireFox 3.x, Internet Explore 7.x and Opera (latest version).

I'm looking for comments and suggestions of ways to improve the site.

Thanks,
tban31

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Site Feedback Please

• member icon

• View blog

Re: Site Feedback Please

Posted 25 February 2009 - 03:08 PM

Number 1 concern:

Less pop-up URL's. They annoy people, especially people who use tabbed browsing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2009 - 03:40 PM

View Postpr4y, on 25 Feb, 2009 - 02:08 PM, said:

Number 1 concern:

Less pop-up URL's. They annoy people, especially people who use tabbed browsing.

Are you referring to the pop-ups that go to parts of the site such as message board or photo gallery?
Or do you mean the links to external URLs that I have set to open a new window for?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2009 - 04:10 PM

I'm referring to any of the plethora of Pop-up windows I received when making an attempt at checking your site.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:17 PM

View Postpr4y, on 25 Feb, 2009 - 03:10 PM, said:

I'm referring to any of the plethora of Pop-up windows I received when making an attempt at checking your site.

I only have two pop-up windows in the site's navigation on the left side.

I don't see why I shouldn't use pop-ups for links that take the user away from my website.

Example: on this page

http://www.wheelingf.../html/home.html

at the bottom there is a link to "Read Story." This link goes to an external news paper website. Why shouldn't I make this link open a new window?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:21 PM

I must've been too hasty in my decision to make that response, then. I had only clicked on 2 links before I posted, which must've been the links that you described.

All in all, it is a great website. I like the design as it is somewhat original. One thing that bugs me is that the nav on the left and the header don't connect anywhere other than free space. Freespace bugs me especially in layouts such as this where there is a navigation menu floating in cyberspace...

Other than that, I enjoy it. My brother is a firefighter here in Maine, and I'm sure out in Wheeling they are experiencing the same redundant issues from the state / city... We've lost 4 firemen in 6 months and they are even de-commissioning one of the ladder trucks (there were only 3 to begin with)...

Great job, and nice work done to help the Firemen of Wheeling!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:44 AM

Very nice site. I like the graphics and color scheme works well. The only issue i have is that I have to scroll to see the entire navigation. Then everytime i go to a link i have to scroll to see anything because the header is so big. Could be cause I'm on a 14" laptop, but it's kind of annoying. I think it would look better with the header only on the home page and the rest of the pages without it like you see below...

Posted Image

Just a suggestion, not really a huge issue. Other than that very nice. Well done. :^:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• awake ? web();
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:52 AM

I'd have to disagree with J-a-y because he's assuming that visitors to your site will always hit the homepage first. The masthead of your site is one of the most important elements as it is the first thing a user sees, and so it is the first thing they associate with your site. Key branding like your masthead and logo should be the same on every page to avoid confusing or disorientating the user.

J-a-y's point about the navigation does still stand though. You should look at your site traffic and determine the smallest screen resolution you want to accommodate, then consider making the navigation fit on the screen at that resolution.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:05 AM

@thehat - good point, I take that suggestion back. I was just trying to get my point across.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1