3 Replies - 1372 Views - Last Post: 27 February 2009 - 08:42 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Saving Project to Thumb Drive

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:10 PM

I routinely make backups of my VB 2008 projects, using Windows Explorer, copying the entire project file to a thumb drive. For some obscure reason, a couple of days ago it suddenly stopped working. Specifically, the project is fine on the harddrive, can be copied to a backup area of the harddrive, but when I copy it to the thumb drive, I get an error message indicating the file can't be found. This is not a new process--I have been backing up projects for several years and never encountered anything like this.

When I click on the project folder, it shows the typical files. When I doubleclick on the .sln file, nothing happens (meaning the file does not open as it does on the harddrive). Solution Explorer shows a .vb file. When I click that, I get the "Can't find the file" error. Other projects on the thumb drive open with no problem, but I am hesitant to overwrite those with "new" versions that may not work.

Any insights into the cause and possible cures for this aberrant behavior would be sincerely appreciated!
Thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Saving Project to Thumb Drive

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Saving Project to Thumb Drive

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:09 PM

There could be a few different reasons for this strange occurrance:

The most likely is that your virus scanner is picking up the files on the thumb drive and scanning them. While your virus scanner has a hook on the files they can not be opened by their respective programs.

Another option is that your thumb drive is dying. Thumb drives do die. They're only good for a certain amount of read/write cycles.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:25 AM

I thought it was the thumb drive, too, and rushed out to buy more. However, when I tried to open the file this morning that I used last night--it no longer works. That is, the app that I was using last night now has a "Can't find the file" error.

I never thought about the virus scanner, and really appreciate the suggestion. I will appreciate it even more if it works! I will try it shortly and let you know what happens (if anything).
Thanks!

View PostDeCompile, on 26 Feb, 2009 - 08:09 PM, said:

There could be a few different reasons for this strange occurrance:

The most likely is that your virus scanner is picking up the files on the thumb drive and scanning them. While your virus scanner has a hook on the files they can not be opened by their respective programs.

Another option is that your thumb drive is dying. Thumb drives do die. They're only good for a certain amount of read/write cycles.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:42 AM

Disconnected from Internet, disabled MacAfee (ComCast)--no effect. The application that I used last night (and have used on a daily basis for months) still has the "Can't find the file" error, and will not open. I even deleted and re-installed VB--no effect.

I am getting spooked, because this is happening on my harddrive as well as the thumb drive. I am reluctant to open (or save, or work on) any other VB applications until I find out what the problem is. I am currently rebuilding the broken application from a text file that I saved a week ago. Fortunately, it is a fairly simple utility application. However, I have other applications that took more than a year to develop, and the possibility of losing them is a bit stressful.

Whatever is going on seems to affect both the "originals" on my harddrive, and the backups on various thumb drives. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1