RIP

Rest in Peace or pieces??

Page 1 of 1

6 Replies - 765 Views - Last Post: 09 March 2009 - 09:32 AM

Poll: RIP Circuit City (10 member(s) have cast votes)

RIP?

1. Rest in Peace (4 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. Rest in Pieces (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Another one bites the dust? (6 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• May Your Swords Stay Sharp
  • member icon

• View blog

RIP

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:06 PM

RIP Circuit City
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: RIP

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: RIP

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:30 PM

There is a little corporate evil going on with these things.

The companies are actually dead long before the sales start. They give the whole sordid mess to a liquidation company that then attempts to squeeze all possible profit from the wreckage. e.g. the Great American Group.

If you should read some of ubiquitous stories of these places doing questionable things, it is these maggots and their ilk who are responsible; the original store has left the building.

Before their fall, Circuit City was as good as any of the others. All the big stores play fast and loose with the rules. Unfortunately, one of the worst, Best Buy, still lives.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:57 PM

The company for which I work is buying all the Canadian stores (The Source by Circuit City) in order to boost distribution channels...quite the bargain overall.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 March 2009 - 07:03 PM

View Postbaavgai, on 8 Mar, 2009 - 07:30 PM, said:

The companies are actually dead long before the sales start. They give the whole sordid mess to a liquidation company that then attempts to squeeze all possible profit from the wreckage. e.g. the Great American Group.

As well as another local PC/Laptop repair center, I was able to pick up some shelving, cabinets, & glass cabinets when one of the Linens & Things went out of business. These bastards will take whatever you offer them for the left overs. He didn't even hesitate to think about taking 1/5th of the sticker price lol.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:55 AM

Circuit City, Media Play and all the other's could have stayed in business if they would have re-evaluated there business models.

Circuit city = commissioned sales.
Media Play = $30.00 for a new DVD? Best Buy = $14.95 - $19.99

Personally I <3 Best Buy and always received the best value for my money. I bought a home entertainment system from Circuit City one time, paid $1000.00 for it. Could have received the same system from Best Buy for $500.00 go figure.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:36 AM

I never really cared for them just for the fact (atleast where I live) there selection of EVERYTHING sucks. I would go there while in college because it was closer to get something, they wouldn't have it and i would ask an associate for it....

I'd get "Sorry sir we don't carry that, you would have to order it, if we even carry it"

Drive to best buy, they have 20 of them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:32 AM

View PostNykc, on 9 Mar, 2009 - 07:55 AM, said:

Personally I <3 Best Buy

You ever try to return anything? :P

I realize that any large company, and Best Buy is big, will simply never be able to satisfy everyone. I'm a pretty reasonable customer, I go out of my way not to give store employees grief; they're wearing a name tag, their day started out bad. So when I have a problem with a place, it's not the staff but the rules the poor buggers must enforce.

I once tried to return a game that someone had purchased for me there. I'd opened it, because the package told me I was leet enough to handle it, but the base specs were a lie ( as they so often are ) and the play was like Max Headroom on ritalin. No worries, I'll take it back. Even with all my papers in order they wouldn't accept a return. You see, the unit wasn't defective; merely useless to me. They could give me another of the same thing, but no store credit. If I'd never been so bold as to open the box, we might have worked something out. Because, you know, I should have known I had a problem through some unexpected flash of game god clairvoyance.

Anyway, since then, I've watched their practices with fascination.

How they gracefully handled frying someone's laptop.

Their failure to recognize legal tender. Or even make change.

The usual bait and switch. That's actually so perpetual I'm surprised I found a link for it.

Most amusing is http://www.bestbuysux.org/ because, if you go there, you'll see it's owned by Best Buy. When you're large enough, using money to silence critics is pretty trivial. Found an article that talked about when the site was still alive.

There's more out there, but the short version is this: if you buy something there and get what you want, the price may be better than average and you're ahead. If you're looking for any kind of customer service... good luck with that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1