2 Replies - 966 Views - Last Post: 17 August 2009 - 08:30 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Where to Start... shopping cart & hosting

Post icon  Posted 08 March 2009 - 07:16 PM

Hi everyone:

Please excuse my ignorance, I'm pretty new to all this. I'm used to designing web pages for work, and so everything is pretty much set up for me to upload to. But now, I am designing an e-biz website for aquatic items, and I don't really know where to start. What is a good place to get server space from? I have been told to use Host Monster, anyone have experience with this? What must I take into consideration before purchasing?

Also, this is kind of off-topic, I need to implement a shopping cart. Any recommendations? Do most people just get one that comes with the hosting? For example, OS Commerce? Or do most web developers design their own using AJAX? My concern is that I won't get to customize the cart page as I would like to.. I am pretty good with front-end/client-side web design so I'm pretty picky with what clients see.

Thanks,

Angela

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Where to Start... shopping cart & hosting

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Where to Start... shopping cart & hosting

Posted 08 March 2009 - 07:39 PM

View Postangela.p, on 8 Mar, 2009 - 08:16 PM, said:

Also, this is kind of off-topic, I need to implement a shopping cart. Any recommendations?

I'm happy with Free Web Shop

It's very customizable for the price (free), however I'm sure that one of the major Pay for use shopping cart systems probably offer more functionality, for someone that may not have as much server side programming experience. Which ever cart you do get, you're going to want to see which language it's going to use, PHP, ASP, ect, & make sure that the hosting provider offers this service.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Where to Start... shopping cart & hosting

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:30 AM

I would say use GoDaddy, they have some dirt cheap prices.

And build your own shopping cart. It'll be more customizable, cheaper, and more fun! Serioulsy, they can be pretty easy to make with knowlege of cookies, MySQL, and some PHP. Then set up PayPal with your site.

Hope that helps! :)
~kewlkreator
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1