9 Replies - 1895 Views - Last Post: 23 March 2009 - 01:04 PM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Source Control

Posted 12 March 2009 - 06:42 PM

I was wanting to get peoples input on what sort of Source Control they work with, also what type of programming you do.

I'm looking into seeing if my host can provide source control but I'm not sure they can. So I've been thinking of other options but I thought other people would like to know how or what kind of Source Control people use for the server part and for the client part.

Musya
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Source Control

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Source Control

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:41 PM

I have been using Subversion of while and I really like it. I tend to work on collaborative projects with only a few developers. I generally don't require many merges as my projects don't generally branch very much. (one project per customer with little code reuse).

I think that if I had a more robust project I would push to use git.

I have also use Visual Source Safe which I don't really care for BUT it is better than nothing and integrates easily with microsoft products.

I have used clear case and PVCS in enterprise environments and am very impressed by some of their features for maintaining different versions of a project and tracking dependencies and patch histories. But since I was not really the administrator here I can only say that from a developer standpoint they worked well...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:11 PM

the company I work at use SVN and tortoise to get check in and out the source and I forgot what they use to merge the code, do you know of any code merging source control plugins?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2009 - 05:27 AM

Tortoise is pretty good. I actually like its TortoiseIDiff editor more than the on in the Eclipse plugin (Subclipse) that I use. I really have not use TortoiseMerge so I can't really say how well it works... but it is there.

One thing that I think is important is integration with bug tracking software. Again another area I have not played with but I do know that subversion plays well with many bug tracking systems.

now I should warn you that Linus Torvalds seems to hate the CVS/SVN model. Seems to think that git is the way to go... I dunno... he does manage one of the most dynamic and prolific open source projects of all time. (Though I don't think he would like to think of himself as managing it).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• May Your Swords Stay Sharp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:12 AM

I have used/use SVN.

Check out: http://xp-dev.com/ for 1.5Gb free svn space :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:08 PM

sweet I'll deff check it out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2009 - 01:26 PM

A good Client/Server based version control system is Perforce. Much better than CVSNT. Haven't used SVN much. For distributed, I personally use bzr, though I've heard good things about Mercurial as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:47 PM

I've used Subversion and CVS on a number of projects, though I prefer Subversion.

Some popular other ones that I haven't tried are GIT, Mercurial, and Darcs.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:00 AM

View PostNickDMax, on 13 Mar, 2009 - 04:27 AM, said:

now I should warn you that Linus Torvalds seems to hate the CVS/SVN model. Seems to think that git is the way to go... I dunno... he does manage one of the most dynamic and prolific open source projects of all time. (Though I don't think he would like to think of himself as managing it).

There are very different requirements for source control in a large open source project like Linux, than a centralized, organized project. I think the decision between GIT and CVS/SVN should be based on the type of your project.

Linus has been known to be very opinionated. Just because GIT is good for him, does not mean it is good for every other project in this world (even if he thinks it is). He is just a person remember.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:04 PM

Linus has been known to be very opinionated. Just because GIT is good for him, does not mean it is good for every other project in this world (even if he thinks it is). He is just a person remember.

LOL yes, this I see. I personally have not used git although I am curious. The requirements for source control do very according to project size -- for most things I have done SVN works well. I don't tend to branch and merge very much and the various developers don't tend to step on eachothers toes very much.

I generally just need to keep track of the current working head, and tag the current versions that may be in testing or deployed.

Are there any good resources for source control best practices? Or is this just one of these things that everyone assumes is simple enough for everyone to figure it out on their own.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1