Look at my new site?

Page 1 of 1

5 Replies - 1980 Views - Last Post: 28 October 2004 - 06:27 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Feedback Wanted!

Posted 28 October 2004 - 05:54 AM

Take a look: JonicBlog

There's the link, but i'd like to say a little about the validation...

I've deactivated the validation links at the bottom of the page out for the meantime because I had a bit of a dillema...

I'm still kinda new to CSS... The site works perfectly in FireFox and is 100% valid, but I'm not too good with CSS hacks for IE so I just created two templates and got my PHP on to select the MSIE template if the browser says it's IE... Fair enough you might think... I'm using a cookie to store this data so that the function to choose the template doesn't run every time the page loads...

The w3c validator won't accept a cookie so it doesn't know which template to use... It just gets the PHP error telling me the file i've tried to include isn't found... It does validate as XHTML 1.0 Strict, and the CSS is all perfect, and those of you with FireFox's web developer extension may be tempted to try validating it, but it won't work yet... I'm thinking of a way around it...

I'm not great at design either so you'll have to be gentle with me...

There's some cool shit going on in there though... This is the most streamlined site i've made (behind the scenes) and I'm trying really hard to make a site that's gonna last... I'm designing the database next... Great fun...

The top image rotates with each page load too... I'm having fun with GD at the moment...

Anything else? Oh yeah... Ignore the content... It's mainly for my benefit... And the section about the website really does make it sound like I don't really know anything about making websites... So especially ignore that one... I was tired...

It was designed with a good browser in mind so it looks a little crappy in IE... I had to resort to tables for the IE version until I can be arsed to learn the necessary CSS hacks...

Any comments or suggestions (or bugs) would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance,

Jonic.

UPDATE!!!
The randomly generated image at the top of the page doesn't work that well yet... It sometimes comes out white... I'm aware of it and I'm working on it...

This post has been edited by jonic: 28 October 2004 - 08:10 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Feedback Wanted!

• humble.genius
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Feedback Wanted!

Posted 28 October 2004 - 09:57 AM

Hey Jonic,

Sounds like you just need a default test case:

if($_COOKIE['whatever']) {
 //...do stuff based on the cookie
} else {
 //...do other stuff
 //...try to set your cookie
}

Meaning that if w3c doesn't take your cookie, you should *still* return a valid CSS stylesheet. You don't have to rely on the cookie -- just pick something as the default for new browsers and browsers that don't accept cookies.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• humble.genius
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 October 2004 - 09:59 AM

p.s. -- it's nice. But aren't you leaving some browsers out by using pngs for your header image?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 October 2004 - 10:32 AM

Thanks for taking a look... I've got a PNG transparency fix running that I found here. I tested the site in FireFox, IE, Safari, Firefox on the mac and IE on the mac. They're the only browsers I have access to... I'm not sure which browsers don't support PNGs...

The code I have for the cookie thing is this (i changed it to sessions instead):
if(!$_SESSION['browser']) {
  if (stristr($_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'], "MSIE")) {
 	 $_SESSION['browser'] = 'MSIE';
 	 include('_lib/_php/_tpl/MSIE.php');
  }
  else {
 	 $_SESSION['browser'] = 'FireFox';
 	 include('_lib/_php/_tpl/FireFox.php');
  }
	}
	else {
  include('_lib/_php/_tpl/' . $_SESSION['browser'] . '.php');
	}

The validator can pick that up, but it complains about the fact that the php session ID is attached to the query string when it's validated... even though I didn't add it myself... This wouldn't be a problem were it not for the fact that it contains a & that I can't escape with &

That's the only error that's coming back and I don't seem to be able to avoid it... Although I think I may have just found the answer...

Back once I've tried it...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 October 2004 - 11:02 AM

Right...

I've got the cookie thing working... I that you can't set and use a cookie in one execution of a script so I've got it refreshing the page once the cookie's been set and it works fine and dandy...

There's no php session ID either so the validator isn't complaining about it, but when I try validating it (click here)

It says that it found a 302. Even though the code is fine. I need to be able to get the script to identify the validator somehow, otherwise it won't know and won't include the right file...

I might just give up... It's getting quite annoying now... Guess I'll learn those CSS hacks I shouldn't have to learn...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• humble.genius
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 October 2004 - 06:27 PM

jonic, on Oct 28 2004, 11:02 AM, said:

Guess I'll learn those CSS hacks I shouldn't have to learn...

Thank you, Bill Gates.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1