What parsers and Excel writers are best to exchange data from and to E

Page 1 of 1

2 Replies - 930 Views - Last Post: 14 April 2009 - 06:07 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Excel and Web Development

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:06 AM

Hi all,

I've started working on a project and am not sure I've chosen the best libraries for the task at hand. I'll explain...

I'm working on a program which makes use of Excel documents in different ways:
- the user can upload an Excel file in order to insert the data into a database
- the user should be able to generate an Excel file using data from the database
- it should be possible for the user to download a preformatted Excel file (with headings, subheadings, etc. corresponding to DB attributes), with certain constraints such as protected cells, choice lists or drop down box lists)... to then fill it in, upload it and insert the data in the database.

(*It'd be interesting to be able to use the OpenOffice format (ods), although this would just be a plus; xls formats work well with OpenOffice both when creating and reading xls documents.)

The application is a website using html/php/css/etc. I'm using phpExcelReader to read data from the Excel file and to insert it into the database and I'm quite satisfied with it.

I've been struggling with PEAR Spreadsheet_Excel_Writer to generate an Excel document. It seems to work fine but I can't seem to find all of the functions I need. For example, I can't find a way of including drop down lists in a cell.

I'd be interested in getting your feedback regarding the best libraries (or even languages) to use to get the job done.

Many thanks.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Excel and Web Development

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Excel and Web Development

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:56 PM

Well PHPExcel (I am not sure if that is the same as PHPExcelReader) can do many many things. One link I show below lists tons of examples of how to do various tasks in the official PHPExcel documentation... (this is a word doc)

PHPExcel Developer Documentation

It lists how to create formulas for cells, headings, set cell properties etc. The one thing, and this is the thing I haven't seen any of them really do, is add drop downs etc to cells. So you may have to think about that part very carefully and see if perhaps you can do without that feature for now.

As for languages, PHP will probably be your best bet and since you are using that already you are on the right track. You might be able to find an activeX control out there you can access through COM, but that might be just as tricky.

But look at that link and it may help you with your tasks. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Excel and Web Development

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:07 AM

Many thanks Martyr2!

I've started using PHPExcel. I was able to find documentation, but no tutorials... The documentation doesn't seem very clear nor complete, but I'm still working on it. I'll post back if I really get stuck.

Many thanks again!

GG
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1