12 Replies - 20431 Views - Last Post: 21 April 2009 - 09:26 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

image based drop down menus in dreamweaver CS4

Post icon  Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:50 AM

Hi everyone, I need some help with my navigation bar in dreamweaver CS4 , i can manage to create a menu with rollover buttons , but can`t seem to create a submenu to go with it .The only option was to create a vertical menu with the spry vertical menu bar which is rather dull and boring and i tried to insert my buttons as a background image in this spry menu bar , but the buttons do not fit well and of course have the rectangle box around them whereas these buttons are a nice ovalish shape. Is it possible to put in my custom buttons which i created in xarasoft menu maker and are saved as a gif file , in dreamweaver with submenus.

Another problem i have is that i created the same website in dreamweaver CS4 earlier and decided to change it completely , and therefore deleted the entire file in dreamweaver ,and now have created new pages , but when i click those links the old pages show up and i cant seem to replace them with my new pages , any ideas on how i can remove these pages completely.
I hope i am coming accross articulately enough , if not please ask and i will try to explain it differently.
Lone , light & laughter
swamiji

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: image based drop down menus in dreamweaver CS4

• Enter Title Here
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: image based drop down menus in dreamweaver CS4

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:09 AM

first.
your pages cannot be deleted because of a page lock. this is a hidden file that you cannot see, it is stored in the same folder as your html pages. if you go into your folder options and click show hidden folders you can then delete the lock and the page.

second.
The menu and sub-menu is still possible with the dreamweaver spry vertical and horizontal menus; however, you are going to need to go in a change the css file to accomidate for the change in size. this is will be a bit of work and even for people that dont have as much experience with .css files it will still be easy to change. the only thing you need to look out for is the size. It will be in 'ems' you can just change it to 'px' for pixels and look out for states like "hover" for example is when you have your mouse over the menu selection.

to go a little more indepth to the menu click here. It is a link back to a topic where another user was having issues with spry menus inside of dreamweaver.

im going to subscribe to this post so when you do respond i can help you out as best i can :)
good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:52 AM

Hi , thanks for your speedy response and patience, i selected show all files but i do not see the two pages which are actually remnants of the site which i had put through dreamweaver and then deleted the entire site within dreamweaver from the manage site option . I later created an entirely new site , but with the same names for buttons , basically the site had a page called diensten and now too i have a different looking page called diensten but when i put this new page , and view my site on mozilla firefox i can see my old DIENSTEN page and not the new one . How do i delete the old one and replace it with the new one. If you would like to have a look at the site this is it http://www.mbadvies.org.
As for the menu bit i will have a look at the link you gave me and see if i can make any sense of it .
cheers
swamiji

This post has been edited by swamiji: 16 April 2009 - 12:36 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Enter Title Here
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:16 PM

in the bottom right corner of the screen there should be a drop down menu that says local view, when you click this and change it to remote view you should be able to manage all of the files.
another way is to click the syncronize button and click the little window that says "delete files if not on local" It will sync your server so everything in your local file is now on your server, and everything on your server that is not on your local file will be removed. After doing this a window will come up and show you exactly what it will do. ie get, put, delete.

i hope this helps.

<edit>
and also the files that are created when you make a spry menu should be in a seperate folder titled "spry assets"

This post has been edited by calebj: 16 April 2009 - 01:17 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:01 PM

View Postcalebj, on 16 Apr, 2009 - 12:16 PM, said:

in the bottom right corner of the screen there should be a drop down menu that says local view, when you click this and change it to remote view you should be able to manage all of the files.
another way is to click the syncronize button and click the little window that says "delete files if not on local" It will sync your server so everything in your local file is now on your server, and everything on your server that is not on your local file will be removed. After doing this a window will come up and show you exactly what it will do. ie get, put, delete.

i hope this helps.

<edit>
and also the files that are created when you make a spry menu should be in a seperate folder titled "spry assets"

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:15 PM

Hi Caleb j, Thanx a ton didnt know it was so simple , well i guess its simple because you know , and the unknown always complicated because you dont know.
Thats half the battle won , now my achilles heel . I would like to add a sub menu to my rollover buttons in my navigation bar . To try and explain to you heres the steps i took . I created buttons with xara menu maker, saved them as gif files , 2 files for each button , button a & button a over. I then inserted navigation bar from dreamweaver insert menu , and put these button images with their rollover state. I got a nice menu with the buttons i wanted , with rollover , the only problem i had was i could not make a sub menu for these buttons , is it possible?
The only way i could get buttons with a sub menu was by using the spry menu bar , but they are so boring and square.
please let me know how i can use my buttons and have a submenu .
Once again your time is well appreciated, thank you
Love Light & Laughter
swamiji
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Enter Title Here
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2009 - 03:40 PM

spry is one of the easiest ways inside of dreamweaver because it helps for people that do not know the languages for web developement such as css, js, php. But because you would like to try your system i found a pretty good demo for you.

http://www.dynamicdr...hrome/index.htm

the issue that you are going to have is with your rollover images, so what you need to do is insert the image code where the text will be and give it rollover properties and just try to keep the core java components. I would still really advise that you work out the css issues and stick with spry but its your call and there is more customization with this setyp.

hope it works for you
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:04 AM

Hi Caleb J ,
Thanx again for your reply , attached is a pic of the button i would like to use ,as far as i understand, in a spry menu the button shape remains rectangular , and i can insert any pic in it , or is it possible to loose the rectangular box and insert a button jpeg or gif? I wanted to know if theres another method , other than spry because spry restricts me to having only rectangular or square shaped buttons. As for the link you provided me i think it is a horizontal menu , mine is vertical , nevertheless it still restricts me from using my buttons or do i not comprehend . Forgive me if i do not understand clearly im totally new to all this .
If you could spare a moment and have a look at what i have published so far perhaps you could guide me better or to better my work.(http://www.mbadvies.org)
Love , Light & Laughter
swamijiAttached Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Enter Title Here
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2009 - 12:43 PM

hey check out this video, i know that it is a horizontal and you want to make a verticle but the method is still the same.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=G8oZEzGNI20
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:22 AM

Hi Caleb J , thank you once again for your time and patience , thanx for the link too . Unfortunately i ve done all of that on my own by playing around with all that and it still leaves me with the same dilema of putting my beautifully shaped button in sprys rectangular box as a background image. Well it seems the only way to retain the shape of my buttons is to insert them through dreamweavers navigation bar , but back to square one i do not know if it is possible to insert a submenu to this navigation bar , perhaps it has to be coded in or perhaps its not possible at all .Well depending on the answer if yes its possible then can you help with the code , and if not possible then i have to settle for beautifully shaped buttons constrained in sprys rectangular box.
cheers
swamiji
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Enter Title Here
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:31 PM

well the trick to doing it with spry is that you can remove the square borders and the solid background and just have the buttons apear and show on the dropdown menu. thats why you need to edit the crap out of the .css file (excuse the language)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:43 PM

Hi Caleb J, Thanx again for all your help , i played around and managed to get the buttons without the box , and ofcourse like women do , my girlfriend whose site this is changed her mind and now we are going with a navigation bar menu with rollover and the page that had all the sub menus will have the sub menu on that page itself and not on the home page .
Once again i would like to thank you for the rapid response to all my queries and the for a splendid display of the mother of all virtues PATIENCE.
Keep up the great work , and if i come across some hiccups i will call on you again.
Love , Light & Laughter
swamiji
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Enter Title Here
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:26 PM

your certainly welcome and im glad that i could help :)
take care
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1